Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig rolls  (Read 5767 times)

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
Pig rolls
« on: April 22, 2014, 11:57:05 am »
Piggies are 'going off' on Sunday  :'( Have bag of sow rolls left, do any other animals eat them ?

Merrie Dancer

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Pig rolls
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 12:01:13 pm »
good for catching ponies, very handy size.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 12:08:30 pm »
Only got my old shetland stallion left, take a while to use up ?
We also have   :goat: :sheep: could they eat them mixed in with their feed ?
I feed the goaties a small dinner all year round because they have vits and herbal stuff in it, for the aches and pains of ageing ! Know the feeling  :farmer:

Merrie Dancer

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 12:14:21 pm »
from what i remember when speaking to a AH inspector a few years ago - pig food cant be fed to goats and sheep because they might have fish meal in them and that isnt to be given to ruminants, not because they cant eat fish meal but the testing for meat products in ruminant feed cant distinguish between fish and meat....or something like that, so no its not legal but is probably safe  ::) ::) and also needs to be kept at least a metre away in storage.  ::) ::) ::)
maybe its changed now...

make a mash for the hens??

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 12:20:44 pm »
Is that ok to crush it up in water for the chuckies  :chook: :chook: :chook:
Will check the contents see whats what  :thumbsup:

Merrie Dancer

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 12:31:03 pm »
id guess so.  :thumbsup:

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 02:48:37 pm »
from what i remember when speaking to a AH inspector a few years ago - pig food cant be fed to goats and sheep because they might have fish meal in them and that isnt to be given to ruminants, not because they cant eat fish meal but the testing for meat products in ruminant feed cant distinguish between fish and meat....or something like that
I was told this of chicken food  :-\
Our donkey loves pig nuts  ::) :innocent:

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 04:58:33 pm »
Bit far to post Karen  :roflanim: Oh well looks like Zak (shetland) will be dining on sow rolls for a year  :horse:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 06:31:04 pm »
Be wary of feeding them to sheep.  Pig food has a higher copper content which can make sheep sick, and in the worst case die.

From my notes :

"Copper levels pig feed
Copper is essential for life.

Sheep need 5mg per kg of copper in their diet.  Levels above 25 can cause problems - symptoms are that sheep go lethargic, drink lots and grind teeeth.  Untreated death can occur.  A drench from the vet can cure/aid recovery if promptly administered.

Levels of copper can be higher in pig grower feeds, as it can aid growth performance.  Of 5 labels we have from different feeds we have used over the years, one shows 17mg per kg, two 25mg (inc one grower), and one grower 171mg!

Feeding any of these daily would be likely to create a problem!

I would not feed pig feed to sheep for this reason, but any cross contamination from say using the same scoop between two bins would not create an issue, and say one feed by mistake would be highly unlikely to kill the sheep. "

Don't know about goats or other animals.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 07:45:02 pm »
Thanks Oaklands, wont take any chances will pass them on to guy  who has pigs up here  :thumbsup:

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 10:13:26 pm »
Sorry Jo, I missed your reply to my last post!
I wasn't suggesting you sent them down to my donkey - though if he could talk he probably would !  :roflanim:
Your little Shetland will like them too (ours does  ;)) but pig food is definitely most appreciated by pigs  :thumbsup:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 10:14:15 am »
and labradors!
mandy :pig:

HappyHippy

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 12:04:12 am »
Oh yeah - dog's love 'em ! But end up smelling a bit like pigs when they fart  ::) (ask me how I know  ;D)

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 09:15:55 am »
 :roflanim: :roflanim:

Nethermoor Pigs

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 08:29:39 pm »
it says on the back of my pig feed (translated to standard english) "don't allow sheep access to this feed or to poo of pigs eating this feed"

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS