Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shearing  (Read 1832 times)

mebnandtrn

• Joined Mar 2014
  • lower whitley
Shearing
« on: April 22, 2014, 08:38:28 am »
We are new to this so sorry if this (or any subsequent) question is daft!  I have been looking on this forum and can't find out when is the right time to shear sheep.  Any advice greatly appreciated.  Also does anyone know a shearer in Cheshire who does small numbers of sheep?  Many thanks.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Shearing
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 09:00:09 am »
From the grand experience of 3 years keeping sheep  ;D  ... It's a black art and dependant on weather, your position and shelter, when the fleece has 'risen', and what you feel like! For example, anything earlier than mid July here (north wales in the hills) brings severe disapproval from farmer friends. But if they are shearlings (last years lambs, then earlier seems to be acceptable.  People who show their sheep , shear them whenever they like it seems to me (according to various breed showing guidelins) and get ready to keep them indoors if wet or cold? If using hand shears, waiting for the rise (an obvious oily layer/ break between the main body of fleece and the skin/new growth) not as important, nor timing because it leaves more on (they don't end up looking skinned and shivery).  The singing shearer (search for his posts on here) is a brilliant man who does small numbers, and does a grand tour so can probably plan you in.... Or ask a neighbour.  There, that's what I've learnt.  I start thinking about it may onwards (one of mine was almost ready to self shed by June last year so I hand sheared her..  The others waited until July and neighbours son to do them by machine.he made a hell of a mess though.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 10:04:24 am »
we shear beginning of July as a rule x

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 10:17:11 am »
We are shearing May 16th but the Shetlands are already losing a lot of their fleece (south coast).  Often, with a small flock, it is when you can get the shearer!  But be on the watch for fly strike from now on.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 10:26:46 am »
Oh, and I think if they have lambs at foot needs to be factored in.... Growing new fleece/keeping warm takes energy and that's may detract from energy available for milk production or keeping condition.... So if lambs at foot usual to wait till they are a good age (8 weeks plus?) ?? (I'm asking/ guessing with numbers there's, but remeber reading something along those lines along the way....)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 10:40:02 am »
Also I believe that ewe-lambs with lambs at foot hold onto their fleeces longer than ewes with lambs would.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS