Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much milk to take off  (Read 1836 times)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
How much milk to take off
« on: April 21, 2014, 09:00:09 pm »
My poorly girl who is down all the time has a very engorged udder. She isn't due until 3rd of May. I took about 200ml off her the other day to relieve the tightness and tonight I did the same as she was actually dripping milk. I don't want to take too much off and stimulate her to produce more or cause any other problems but I'm not sure what is best in this situation. How much would you milk off?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: How much milk to take off
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 09:20:56 pm »
Just as much as it takes to ease it - you could take half a litre and she'd be ok I think.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 09:26:16 pm »
Is what you are taking off milk or colostrum? If the latter I would definitely freeze it (I am not sure when they start to make colostrum, never had to milk out before kidding).

Also if she is dripping milk, you need to make sure that she doesn't get any muck (or bugs) into the teat canal - so I would definitely teat-dip with an iodine solution, or just spray the teat with something like bactakil maybe?

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 09:39:29 pm »
It isn't looking like colostrum yet but I have frozen it anyway. I have been teat dipping with a dilute solution of Capricleanse and leaving kitchen roll underneath her udder so that it doesn't come into contact with the straw until the mucus plug has reformed.

If I took off too much milk could it cause premature labour?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 10:10:18 pm »
I don't think so.

I milked Ellie out fairly well, 3 days and 1 day before she kidded, as 1. She looked really uncomfortable and 2. I was worried that Rowan might not milk well (she did, fortunately) and that since Ellie had plenty of milk/colostrum I'd freeze it for Rowan's.

Ellie was still 2 days late!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 07:26:26 am »
No, it wouldn't cause premature labour. Worse it would cause would be her calcium levels, as mik fever could be a risk. But it can be easily treated with calcium if that happens. I am sure I remember someone telling me last year that they had had to take 5 litres of a goat before she kidded to make her comfortable!

Beth

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 08:26:32 pm »
Sounds like one of my girls!!
Now. I'm sure I found somewhere that said that colostrum is produced/stimulated when they go into labour....however still scary to do..
One of my girls that hasn't kidded for 2 years has just come back into full milk....spring's sprung nd so has she!!lol
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS