Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blowfly heads-up  (Read 2805 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Blowfly heads-up
« on: April 21, 2014, 03:39:06 pm »
Just done a quick check on my little flock and as per usual, the same sheep has been struck. As always I've caught it at eggs stage (yay!) and have decided to totally hand shear him as we are due a visit from singing shearer soon but this way I'm reducing the odds I hope.
this sheep always has so much more lanolin than the others so I assume this increases his risk of blowflies being interested. Funny really that he's so different, same father  to some others but his wool is saturated in lanolin (!)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

GoWest

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Blowfly heads-up
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 07:14:41 pm »
The weather has been so wet again recently and in the sun this afternoon there were loads of greenbottles about. Keeping a close watch for flystrike at the moment.

My ewes are very clean, but the flies dont care.

This time of year until shearing is an absolute pain. Relief comes after shearing.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 07:52:04 pm »
I've had to crovect today. One of the ewes was covered in fly eggs. You are right, no relief till sheared.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 08:05:39 pm »
I am checking mine all the time but this thundery weather is a nightmare.  I hate this time of year waiting to get the ewes sheared - such a relief when they are done.  I am considering putting some crovect on mine too as don't think Philip will be here for a good month to 7 weeks or more yet. 

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 08:06:38 pm »
Well spotted, Plums.  :thumbsup:

Had the sheep 4 years or so now and no strike yet. Luck must run out soon  :(. Do worry that I'll miss the signs. Seems that every year our lambs get messy bums as the grass starts growing. Same this year .... older ones never do, just last years lambs. OH and daughter did a bit of dagging and cleaning up last night but seen no flies up here yet. Can't effectively Crovect yet as they are starting to shed.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 07:55:09 am »
Don't worry about missing the signs in the hills, its just a case of spending 10 minutes a couple of times a day gazing at the sheep in my case. with my coffee in the late morning and my rum 'n coke in the early evening  ;)  if you see batches of green shiny flies hanging about and landing you know they are most likely laying eggs. Part th ewool, check for eggs/ maggots etc and treat accordingly. Last year I caught them a few days after hatch but still small, hand sheared back as much wool as needed to and got away with battles maggot oil until philip came to shear. This year though, I've had to spray crovect as the sheep concerned is uncatchable on my own and rugby tackling her in full view of hte neighbours (who already find my exploits hilarious youtube material and are quite unpleasant) is out of the question!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 11:56:06 am »
Hope your sheep is okay, Plums.

Well I'm good at standing about doing not a lot! Think I'm going to roo ours ASAP, give them a week or so to get a bit more fleece through and then use the dreaded Crovect. Don't like the stuff but worry that I wouldn't be able to catch some of mine without OH to help and his not around much at the moment .... so know how you feel.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 12:08:03 pm »
When to shear is always a balancing act.  Colder weather forecast here for Friday so best to leave the ewes at least - they can't make milk and keep warm too.  When it comes to flystrike watch for lying away from the flock, small, jerky movements, licking lips, nabbing at rear.  Also watch for flies buzzing around them - once one lot hatch the other flies pile in.  Really hard one to spot is when the fleece is really wet and has some fleece rot and the flystrike is in a sort of "mayoral chain" ring around the neck and brisket.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS