Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: educated guesstimate required  (Read 6441 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: educated guesstimate required
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 07:16:31 am »
it would be for love,

but we live on a very low budget so it has to break even, even allowing for us buying meat from ourselves...

the land looks ok, its a bit far from home so would impact on our planning for houses later this year,

plus point is its quite inaccessible and is the first sensible sized (3.5 acres all told) plot at even vaguely sensible money i've seen in 2 years!

am trying to book to meet the agent to discuss it and clarify a few things before i get too set on it!!!

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 08:58:24 am »
Just had a look on national farm averages your area ish average price for agricultural land is £43.44 an acre that will take into account all the naff stuff as well, County council here is £160 for grazing or land in stewardships, anything better is upto £300 an acre

How much is yours ???

If you need to break even just my opinion is chickens either for egg sales if viable or breed for either meat, hatching eggs, or birds at market, then it might be a bit easier to break even with the other stuff.

The best of luck, we are all hoping you take it so you can share your journey  :fc:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 01:14:03 pm »
thank you everyone

this one is now officially off the table and i'm back to my slow but steady search, the land is well fenced for cattle or ponies its not good enough for sheep (bottom wire is 1ft off the ground in places) the cost of upgrading the fencing which is all brand new but set up wrong is too high for the length of initial lease they are offering.

they also seamed reluctant to allow chicken sheds which were an essential part of my plan and every building of any type needs the permission of the owners...

one day it will happen :-)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2014, 08:33:21 pm »
bad luck bloomer.

Andy is that£43 an acre for a year?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS