Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Youngest lamb not drinking water.  (Read 3464 times)

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Youngest lamb not drinking water.
« on: April 20, 2014, 09:28:16 pm »
I have three orphan lambs ages 5 weeks, 8 weeks and 10 weeks. They are all eating creep and grass  and have access to water at all times. The two older ones are drinking a fair amount of water but the youngest won't touch it. I would like to wean him in a week or two but presumably I can't if he is not drinking water from a trough.

Is there anything that I can do to encourage him or do I just wait for him to work it out for himself?

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Re: Youngest lamb not drinking water.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 06:26:53 pm »
Can't help with an answer but wanted to say .  Really enjoyed the other afternoon, still lambing... :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 02:46:43 am »
It's probably a chicken and egg thing.  While he is getting what he needs from milk he is getting enough fluid.  When you start to cut his milk down he'll get thirsty. ;)

Another factor could be whether he is eating cake.  Cake would normally make them thirsty too - and he needs to be eating a fair amount of cake (at least 1/2lb per day) before you wean him.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 02:21:50 pm »
Yes, I've been wondering about the cake. He does eat it, but I'm not sure how much. They are eating two to three pounds a day between the three of them, but it might be that the bigger ones are eating most of it. I suppose I could lean over the stable door all day to watch them, but then I wouldn't get anything else done! :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS