Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Should I trim foot?  (Read 1992 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Should I trim foot?
« on: April 19, 2014, 08:18:46 pm »
My OSB was a Bit lame this morning and when I looked at her foot this afternoon there is a protruding bit if horn which I think is causing pressure and pain. Thing is do I pare with hoof knife, trim with foot clippers or leave it? I have taken a photo which hopefully you can see. The boar is in with her and she is due in season over next few days so don't want her sore

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: Should I trim foot?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 12:21:15 pm »
Well obviously no-one else has a clue either. I pared it back a bit this morning so it is a bit more level with pad but not as low as I would like. Stopped when I could see slight redness in horn as didn't fancy it bleeding. Sprayed with engemycin as there was a crack.

A bit of rain would help to soften the ground.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 02:34:31 pm »
sorry, iv never trimmed a pigs foot. the breeder i bought mine from never trimmed either.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 03:08:48 pm »
If she hadn't been lame I wouldn't have touched her. She has some cracks. Bit like sand cracks on some hooves but on the sole of this particular foot it was like an extra growth of hoof and as the ground is so hard I'm guessing it is painful to walk on.

I will have to wait until I feed later to see if any improvement. Boar in with her at moment so I didn't want her uncomfortable. Amazed she let me do it but I guess having her tummy rubbed made it worthwhile!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 03:20:31 pm »
sorry - i didnt word that very well, i meant iv no experience to share as we never needed to trim.
i suppose your options are foot trimmers sheep style - or a rasp horse-style.
did she winter outside or in?

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 05:05:39 pm »
She's been out but the ground has been rock hard. Rained really heavy today so that should help.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS