Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Enfys has popped! good news/ badish news  (Read 1885 times)

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
Enfys has popped! good news/ badish news
« on: April 19, 2014, 02:20:23 pm »
Some good news! Enfys has finally given birth to two little boys (so no girls for us this year). She did it all by herself in the beautiful sunshine and the kids are up and feeding well. HURRAH! So far so good.....

Badish news, her udder is massive and hot and she keeps lifting her back leg up as if her leg is causing her some pain. She isn't interested in her food (oats and sugar beet) or in hay but will eat kale, goose grass, ivy etc.....

Should I try and milk her out a bit to relieve the pressure? Could her leg be an internal issue or is this related to her massive udder?

Sorry for the endless questions, I really appreciate your help as always!  :wave:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Enfys has popped! good news/ badish news
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 03:45:30 pm »
Yes milk out as much as you can (but not empty it, just ease out), and she will need twin lamb drench plus Calcium injection, as she probably has mastitis AND milk fever.

There is also a product called EWE-GO, which is a drench and has both glucose (for energy) and Calcium (for milk fever). Probably from your vet. I have not used it but it comes recommended from another goatkeeper. Also she will need an antibiotic for her mastitis - so I think I would call out the vet. Vet can administer Calcium directly into her vein, and will also have twin lamb drench. She will need to same dose as a sheep for both. Give her as many treats as she will eat, but no high-protein goat mix - so shreds, hay and a few oats should be fine. PLus loads of veg/fruit.

The limping is also a sign of mastitis, as she is in pain on that side.

Do her kkids have had colostrum and does she let them suckle? If not - give it to them in a bottle asap...

She will need lots of TLC for the next few days

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 03:57:46 pm »
Hi Anke,
Thank you for the advice, I have milked her out quite a bit and fed the milk back to her as the kids didn't want it and are suckling without any issues. Mum seemed to really appreciate the milk! Hope that's the right thing to do?
I also took her down some oats in warm water which she gobbled up happily. I will check her again in an hour and give her some more food.
How is it best to administer the drench? Do I need a drenching gun?
I will ring the vet within the next couple of hours if there are no improvements. Thank you!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 04:22:03 pm »
Yes you will need a drenching syringe, you can buy these from online merchants and they are very useful for all sorts of drenching - for worms, with twin lamb stuff etc etc. Goats object to drenching much more than sheep, so you will need to be firm with them.

If you need to inject Calciject (available from the agri merchants) she will need about 40 to 50ml, (warm up the bottle before you draw it into a syringe). You will need a 50ml syringe with a thick short needle - to get 50ml under their skin is uncomfortable for them (and you). Two sites, over her ribs is best. Injected under the skin, not into the muscle.

Giving her back her own milk is good in your situation - it will be good for calcium. Old time goat books often mention that - so well done! You just have to watch that she doesn't start to self-suckle later on. You can also put molasses into the milk.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS