Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tail biting ewe  (Read 3809 times)

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
Tail biting ewe
« on: April 18, 2014, 08:46:06 pm »
One of our established ewes, good mum etc has bitten off the tails below the ring off 2 of her lambs! She gave birth to triplets. Okay the first lamb had an accident and severed a bit off the end of her tail, so we sprayed the boney bit etc the next morning half had gone. Think mum was licking off the iodine and perhaps got carried away. Understand that as the tail was spilt HOWEVER the next day another lambs tail was hanging off!!! Mum must have chewed it and this afternoon bitten off. The first lamb born remains untouched and the biggest lamb. Has anyone had anything similar to this? :thinking:
Fishy

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Tail biting ewe
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 09:26:40 pm »
Never come across this one.  Be inclined to put Mama in an adopter until she's calmed down.  If she still considers tails yummy when they taste of iodine ..... yeuch!

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 09:28:54 pm »
And no glass of chianti to wash it down with. ::)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 10:36:58 pm »
I would hazard a guess and say she was trying to clean them up, like eating afterbirth etc, maybe they didn't smell right being rung. I knew of a rabbit who ate the ears off of her babies when they were born.  our dog has an umbilical hernia and we were told it was caused by the bitch chewing his umbilical cord too far when he was born.  :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 08:59:04 am »
Shy girl I think you have something as she has always been a good mum. It was really surprising when she started on the second one though. I think it's the taste of the iodine. :tired:

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 09:56:12 am »
i think the same as shy girl, perhaps she sensed that that part wasnt smelling right, i suppose its a primal thing, any scent of injury could be very hazardous in the wild x

Lilljoho

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 08:55:52 pm »
We had one ate the tails off all three of her triplets, as if she had mistaken them for umbilical cords! Great mum though

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 09:34:52 pm »
That's reassuring, thanks everyone for your replies. All 3 are thriving and mum is being good and leaving all other body parts well alone. :excited:
Fishy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS