Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Prolapse lambing...  (Read 9751 times)

Little Landy Lover

• Joined Apr 2014
Prolapse lambing...
« on: April 18, 2014, 07:47:33 pm »
Hi all.
One of my ewes had a prolapse last week so we stuck a prolapse spoon in her, all was well. I've heard that they can lamb through them but I need re-assurance/contradiction please!

cheers
Sheep have two missions in life; escape and die. If they can do both at the same time they're happy!

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
Re: Prolapse lambing...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 08:24:08 pm »
They can lamb through them---no point in worrying about it either

I stitched one up a week ago that kept prolapsing ---yesterday morning I saw her looking a bit 'suspect' so caught her and cut the stitch---came back a few hours later and she had 3 lambs at foot

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 08:41:04 pm »
Yes, she'll lamb fine past a spoon.  We have had three manage this year.  They won't be doing it again, though!

Little Landy Lover

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 09:39:04 pm »
Won't be lambing again?? I hope not as she's such a lovely ewe...

Thanks for the re-assurance, she's had a few mucus like discharges since it went in and is now soo wide!

Thanks again
Sheep have two missions in life; escape and die. If they can do both at the same time they're happy!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 02:06:10 am »
Yes, you'll find her with the spoon sticking up towards her tail and her lambs fine and dandy.

As to breeding from her again... sometimes they prolapse again and sometimes they don't.  If you can pinpoint a cause and it's something you can avoid next time, and you really like her, then try her and keep an eye on her.

I hope you gave her some antibiotics when you fitted the spoon?  If not, I would do so now.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 08:15:34 am »
I had one that prolapsed last year and went through a bad time when the vet had to pull a dead lamb out of her.
There was conflicting advice on wether to lamb from her again or not so I decided to give her one more try.
She prolapsed 4 weeks before she was due. Vet put a stitch in and we cut the stitch when the water bag appeared (meant we had to keep our eyes on her the whole time as they can't lamb through the stitch). She had a lovely single ram lamb and I was pleased for her.

A couple of days after lambing she prolapsed again. It wasn't as bad but the vet put another stitch in which we can apparently leave in for as long as we like. Needless to say we won't be lambing from her again. A
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

country soul

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 08:41:30 am »
 I think this answers a question,i ve been toying with .I ve had two ewes prolapse,both beltex crosses,I was considering keeping them on but  you have confirmed my thoughts that they should be culled .its a shame though they are only first timers.
Does anyone know how long I should keep the prolapse harness on for?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 08:43:06 am by country soul »

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 08:44:26 am »
I much prefer prolapse harnesses to spoons.  They can lamb through the harness, although we always took the harness off as soon as we spotted the ewe had "dropped" - something noticeable with Down sheep, when the lambs move into birthing position and they get hollows in front of their pelvis. That sentence was in the past tense as we always culled prolapsers, apart from one ewe we gave weekly jabs of Calciject to who went on to lamb twice more without prolapsing. This was an experiment which seemed to suggest there's involvement of impaired ability to metabolise calcium in the diet.   A spoon seems a perfect source of irritation and route for infection - the only time we used one the (female) vet asked me if I'd like one of those inside me .....?  'Nuff said!

Little Landy Lover

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 11:07:48 pm »
thanks for the replies.

She prolapsed a week before she was due and is was only about the size of a tennis ball so wasn't the worst one in the world!
As I'm only on nine ewes and have the facilities to accommodate many more, just not the cash, I'm going to keep her on as it shan't cost me much and any additions to the flock would be very welcome! Also I only got her in September and it would be awful to get one season out of her!
They can't lamb through the type of harness I know, basically covering most of the vulva. Whereas the spoon should allow all to pass through? should I take it out when she starts lambing? is it possible for me to have put it in wrong?
thanks again ^

Arch

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 12:08:47 am »
When she lambs the spoon will pop out, no bother.  You do not need to do anything.

When you reinsert the prolapse, she will pee as soon as the bladder entrance is clear.  (Be ready for this and have your sleeves rolled well up!) 

When fitting the spoon, she should still be peeing.  Not constantly, but  a bit now and again.  If she can't pee, the spoon is in wrong.  If she can pee the spoon is in right.

The most common problem is to not tie it in tight enough.  As long as she can pee she will be perfectly comfortable, so make sure it's pulled hard up against the bottom of the vulva.  If it's loose, she'll pop it out, closely followed by the prolapse again.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 09:50:48 am »
Arch shes likely to cost her more money if you keep her than if you sell her so budget for that (for eg. she prolapses worse next time, you call the vet out, he stitches it in for you, gives her antibiotics etc, you don't see her lambing = awful mess). Assume she will prolapse again and feel very lucky if she doesn't.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 10:14:27 am »
Arch, if you want to keep her great but don't try to breed from her again. I had one that prolapsed last year and she did it again this year. We ended up at the vets 3 times with her.

For me, she is a pet, so I wanted to do everything I could to keep her. Money wise, was it worth it?, NO
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 04:37:34 pm »
There are always people wanting to tell me about the one ewe I said to cull who went on to lamb again ok, they neglect to mention all the others that they didn't cull that they lost time, money and heartache to (though to be fair some have 'fessed up)

Little Landy Lover

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 12:12:45 pm »
Thanks for all the advice!
I think that if she lambs well and easily this year (lots of milk and certainly twins, probably triplets) then I will put her in lamb again next year, if I have to assist and they are weak little lambs then I'll probably cull her given that it would be near on impossible for me to prevent her from being fertilized without stressing either the tup , or her, out!
Thanks again folks.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 12:39:44 pm »
thanks for the replies.

They can't lamb through the type of harness I know, basically covering most of the vulva.

Arch
Yes they can! The harness is pushed to one side and the lamb comes out unobstructed. I had a ewe lamb yesterday through one - 2 fine twins. She's had a prolapse the size of a melon and been wearing the harness for a fortnight. I took it off today and she's fine.
To me the harness is infinitely preferable to sticking a rigid plastic spoon thing inside the poor animal, and also better than sewing her up and having to be there at the crucial time to cut the stitches. 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS