Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Prolapse lambing...  (Read 9763 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Prolapse lambing...
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 12:50:29 pm »
landroverroy,
How tight was the harness on?  We waited until we saw the water bag and then took the harness of as instructed by the vet. I don't know if we had the harness too tight (instructions were to put it on tightly) but I can't imagine how mine would have been able to push it aside to lamb.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 05:36:22 pm »
After using spoons for many many years and stitches before that I now only use a harness and while if I see a ewe lambing I remove it often ewes lamb through the harness,it moves to the side , 2 have done so this year .      AND I keep repeating that keeping a prolapse to lamb again is an individuals decision , BUT I have seen many  dead prolapsing ewes after pushing out intestines or rotten lambs as the cervix opens lets air in but lambing doesn't proceed , so for me once is more than enough

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 06:30:45 pm »
landroverroy,
How tight was the harness on?  We waited until we saw the water bag and then took the harness of as instructed by the vet. I don't know if we had the harness too tight (instructions were to put it on tightly) but I can't imagine how mine would have been able to push it aside to lamb.
Difficult to say. Initially this year I put it on too loosely and she prolapsed again. So washed the bulge and put it back and tightened the harness up. It's a bit of trial and error as obviously it has to be tight enough to keep everything in, but not so tight that it looks uncomfortable and she walks awkwardly.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 06:37:46 pm »
My old matriarch, Beryl, had a prolapse the size of a melon 4 weeks ago  :( .  Much to her disgust she has been wearing a spoon and harness ever since.

To say I have been worried is a complete understatement :hugsheep: and I have been watching her like a hawk.  Had a parcel delivery at 1600 and I went back up to the house.  By the time I got back to the barn she had produced massive twins :excited: .  They are feeding without help and she seems fine :relief: .

For sentimental reasons she will not be culled, but these will be her last lambs.  She has produced 7 cracking lambs for me.  My own theory for the prolapse is that some idiot docked her tail so short (illegal) it has damaged the muscles in that area.
Anyway, I'm celebrating now, and so is Beryl.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 06:55:02 pm »
Bramblecot, its good to hear there was a happy ending.  I won't be culling mine either but neither of them will be bred from again.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS