Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breed specific or local dialect?  (Read 3197 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Breed specific or local dialect?
« on: April 18, 2014, 04:31:58 pm »
Do you have the same breeds as the locals around you? Do the sheep all sound the same?

I have Ryelands and am surrounded by various Welsh commercial breeds. My girls have very distinctive voices, deep and quite appealing. Whereas the local sheep all sound as if they have strangulated hernias and sore throats.

Are the commercial sheep speaking a local dialect?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Re: Breed specific or local dialect?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 04:58:01 pm »
That's an interesting question, my Kerry Hills sound quite different to the Cheviots.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 06:22:55 pm »
 :thinking: Mine are usually very quiet. Is that a Soay thing?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 07:06:02 pm »
I have both Down and Mountain sheep and they usually make a noise only to greet the arrival of a feed bucket during lambing.  They all sound the same - insistent and hungry!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 10:43:46 pm »
our wensleydales had very deep voices.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 12:02:30 am »
I'm sure they do at least have different accents.  The question is, do all sheep of the same breed sound the same, or does it depend on where they live?  Can all sheep of the same breed no matter where they're from understand eachother?  Can sheep of different breeds speak to eachother, or is that why they can be so standoffish for months after two breeds are put together?

In the hills - we have one Soay who makes the biggest sheep noise I've ever heard, but she is ancient so maybe she's deaf and just shouts  :D
I've certainly noticed that my sheep rarely make a noise outside lambing time, and even then they are quiet compared to all the yelling commercial breeds round about - but that's maybe because they're taken to a big field they don't know and put there with their lambs, so there's mayhem til they all settle down and find the right mums/lambs, whereas ours know exactly where they are.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 12:05:13 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 01:56:35 am »
Ummm.... I can identify individuals amongst my sheep from their voices.  Not all of them, but some of them.

Sadie has a completely different sound to any other sheep on the farm, including Buffy, who came with her.

There's a deep (and loud!) timbre to the call of some of our Beltex- and Texel-out-of-Mule sheep that identifies them as being ones sourced from the moorland farm.  The only other sheep we have that sound similar came from another moorland farm  :thinking:

On the whole, our Texels are extremely quiet.  They call their lambs when necessary and they call out to each other when the feed is arriving.  Some of them call us to tell us it's time the feed was arriving ;).   But compared to the Swaledales and Mules on the moorland farm, they are practically mute!

And the Mules here are a lot more vocal than the Texels too.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 07:11:18 am »
I can tell some individuals by their vocals too .....  guess they may all be different but you tend to know the 'odd' ones for various reasons.   ....  I can tell each of my orphans from a distance.

As to breeds being more vocal .... this may be related to their normal environment ..... not being vocal when you have a lamb on a mountain or moorland would be rather a bad  mothering trait.... whereas on flat grazing it is not so important.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 11:46:19 pm »
My four (Zwartbles) all have similar voices, I guess, but I can tell who is shouting very easily as they are quite distinct from one another too (does that make any sense?!).

Our nearest large flocks are a dairy flock of the same breed and a flock of Whiteface Dartmoor but I can't tell which flock is making which noise!

ETA: I do know that certain members of the tit family (blue and great primarily) have localised accents - to the point that they don't recognise the song of their own species if it's being sung in the 'wrong' accent!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 11:48:51 pm by smee2012 »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS