Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mangalitza Cross  (Read 3081 times)

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
Mangalitza Cross
« on: April 18, 2014, 01:22:48 pm »
No, its not a post about an angry Mangalitza, :-J  can anyone let me know what the meat may be like from a Manga/large White cross please. Thank you

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
Re: Mangalitza Cross
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 01:55:24 pm »
I have mangas x large black going ' off ' week on sunday so will let you know  :thumbsup:

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 09:42:28 pm »
I picked up 2 Mangalitza x Saddleback from the abbatoir today. They're currently hanging in the chiller, but look good - nice shape, not too fat. They were lovely to keep even through the wet winter and they were fantastic looking - looked like brown hairy saddlebacks and grew really well. At 7 months they killed out at 92 and 86kg. Weekend of butchery awaits  :thumbsup:

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 06:24:51 pm »
Thanks for your rep[ies, looking forward to the results

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 08:20:37 pm »
they must have grown to a saddleback size at those weights? i wonder if the fat will be like the manga or the saddleback.
do you have photos of that cross?

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 09:55:08 pm »
Hi Shygirl, no pics as yet, not seen them, buying them from a friend who has hit a bad time at the moment going to bring them on for Chorizo etc, managed to sell the rest of them for a reasonable price for him

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 02:54:08 pm »
They grew really well although I have manga boys of same age who are similar size. They were good looking boys and really liked them. Fat on them is less than pure mangas (according to friend who knows them). If it was this cross you wanted to have a look at, I have managed to upload a picture below of them, with the other mangas.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 02:58:32 pm by MarthaR »

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 03:13:13 pm »
Thank you for the picture, as soon as I can I will post some of mine, Thanks again :wave:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 06:49:44 pm »
This guy sells meat from mangaglitzas and crossed mangaglitzas with middle white, I think.
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/110671328/mangalitza-x-middle-white-weaners-pigs-piglets.html
hope this helps
Thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS