Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Choice of breed.  (Read 1936 times)

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
Choice of breed.
« on: April 17, 2014, 10:50:28 pm »
In the past we kept Gloucester Old Spots, and currently we keep Saddle Backs and a variety of x breeds.

However later in the year we are thinking of getting another breeding sow in, and have been thinking about what breed to go for.

On the current short list are OSB, Berkshire and Large Black.

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts. . . . basically . . . sell me your breed  :D

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
Re: Choice of breed.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 07:32:04 am »
BERKSHIRES, excellent mothers, temperament and handsome looking pigs. The pork is great and even though some will disagree they do excellent bacon . :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 07:43:58 am »
The British Lop, they are a good long deep pig that makes great pork and bacon. good mothers having large litters. very easy to handle. and best of all you would be helping one of the rarest of our traditional breeds.  :thumbsup:
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 08:59:40 am »
We have Large Blacks (just 2) and they are completely delightful.  We are just expecting our first piglets now, so don't have much factual information to give, but our two girls couldn't be more lovely and gentle to handle.  We love them.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 09:48:45 am »
I second the vote for Large Blacks  :thumbsup:
Great mum's, docile pigs and easy to manage despite their size.
We've had Berkshires and OSB's too, but the LB would be the one I'd choose every time  ;) (unless Kunekune were in the equation  :innocent:)

You'll get loads of different answers on this question I think, because everyone likes 'their' breed best - if it's a sow you're after the best advice I could offer would be to go and see them and get a feeling for the one you prefer and which seems best handled and most sociable. Unlike young weaners a sow will already have developed her personality and you're not likely to be able to change it easily  ;)
Good luck and keep us posted,
Karen

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 10:27:24 am »
Hmmmmm some more food for thought there . . . .

To be honest I'm open to ANY suggestions.

The criteria are - ease of handling, hardiness, mothering ability (and litter size), popular. As well as meat qualities.

The sow would be producing pure bred weaners to sell at certain times of year (via AI) and be used to produce x breeds for meat at other times of year (probably with a large white / pie train / landrace again via A.I).

They will be farrowed in a barn but outdoor reared.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 01:31:14 pm »
It will also depend on where you are as to availability of certain breeds. What part of the country are you?
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 02:48:11 pm »
South Wales  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS