Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Thinking of buying some weaners  (Read 2719 times)

topscaff

• Joined Mar 2013
Thinking of buying some weaners
« on: April 17, 2014, 07:12:59 pm »
Hi all I am thinking of buying three weaners welsh pigs if possible would I be able to keep them in a shed 4 Mtrs x 2.4 Mtrs it has a concrete floor of which I would bed down with straw there would be plenty of light, would this be okay or not?  :thinking: regards Mike

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
Re: Thinking of buying some weaners
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 07:18:34 pm »
You might find they like to eat the wood, round the door and inside. :innocent: mine did.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 08:52:10 pm »
Do you mean with no access to outside. If so no way, pigs need to be outside digging in soil and feeling the sun on their backs.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 09:42:33 pm »
If this is there permanent home and not just where they spend the night then not remotely ok in my opinion. Not how I would choose to raise animals- not enough room and no access to outside. just saying  :innocent:

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 09:43:42 pm »
It would be 'alright' in terms of being legal - but in terms of the pigs having quality of life and in turn, you getting quality meat - they NEED to be outside, at least for some of the time.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 09:56:07 pm »
Hope you didnt mean as their only living space, thought you meant as their bed  :pig:

topscaff

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 04:35:43 pm »
Hi all sorry I did not explain it properly they woul also have a run of 35' x 8' grass and soil area I used to have chickens running on it, regards Mike

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 05:14:08 pm »
...in which case, the shed would probably be too large - the pigs won't mind a bit, but they'll make a bed in one corner.  Then when they wake up they'll leave their bed in the corner, and once they've left it, they'll pee and poo quite happily, but in that size shed they'll still be inside, so you'll get smell or urine, and poo picking as an additional hobby !

As I say not a problem for the pigs !

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

topscaff

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 03:56:44 pm »
Thanks for your help sounds like I will have plenty of fresh manure for the compost heap, regards Mike

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS