Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A question for the physicists - now with poll  (Read 8377 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
A question for the physicists - now with poll
« on: April 17, 2014, 08:55:05 am »
When I make a hot drink, I put the milk in according to how I want the drink to taste.  So after the tea has mashed, or first for coffee to stop the boiling water scalding the coffee.

When BH makes a hot drink, he doesn't put the milk in until he's ready to drink the drink.  He says that as soon as the milk goes in, the drink will cool down so fast you need to drink it straight away.

So my question is this. 

If you have a freshly-made hot drink, and some cool milk, and you are going to drink that drink in 10 minutes time, which is cooler when you drink it?  The one you put the milk into straight away, or the one you only add the milk to at the point of drinking?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 12:05:40 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: A question for the physicists
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 08:58:56 am »
they both lose heat at the same rate (it is a linear function) so the one that the milk goes in first will be cooler over all as its effective starting temperature is lower...

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 09:44:00 am »
milk first will be cooler

Another question

Why does anyone put milk in coffee ???????????

And yet another

Why is dandelion coffee horrible when its almost cold ???
(I'm concerned that I'm not getting enough acids out)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 09:57:35 am »
Question - why would anyone want to drink coffee made from dandelions?  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 10:26:56 am »
Question - why would anyone want to drink coffee made from dandelions?  :innocent:

... when dandelion wine is so much nicer?! ;)
Little Blue

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 10:36:29 am »
It won't make any difference to the temperature of the liquid which ever way you do it.  Although tea may brew differently if milk goes in first but that's a taste thing not a temperature thing.

If you perceive any difference then it will probably be in the temperature of the mug itself (or whatever container is holding said drink).  Different materials absorb / hold / lose heat differently.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 11:28:06 am »
I don't know why I even looked at this thread  :roflanim:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 12:00:26 pm »
I don't know why I even looked at this thread  :roflanim:
:roflanim: :roflanim:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 12:01:19 pm »
Why is dandelion coffee horrible when its almost cold ???

Because it was horrible when it was hot

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 12:02:00 pm »

Age shall come to you, too, whippersnapper ;)

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
Re: A question for the physicists - now with poll
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 12:23:20 pm »
Why dose anyone drink tea or coffee ?
( can we have an icon that is projectile vomiting please  :eyelashes: )

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 01:20:37 pm »
Okay, I wish I hadn't included the 'Don't care' option because we're all choosing it.  Hrmph.   :D

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 01:25:51 pm »

Age shall come to you, too, whippersnapper ;)
Agreed but I reckon if you let black coffee stand 10 mins before drinking and then add cold milk it will be cooler than if you put it into scalding hot coffee at the start.
But saying that I like mine made with hot milk anyway :innocent: just to add another iron in the fire :stir:
Mandy :pig:

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 01:58:11 pm »
Cooling depends on the difference in temperature, therefore hot coffee in contact with air will cool faster than slightly less hot coffee (if milk has been added at point of making), so the cooled black coffee will then get colder when the cold milk from the fridge is added.
I have only just agreed with OH that adding milk before the coffee, avoiding scalding, does actually taste better though!
I struggle to drink mine hot though, so usually add a little cold water to cool it even faster, or end up leaving it lying around until its tooo cold.
And I agree with Mandy, if I can't get at goats milk, it has to be hot milk!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 03:49:25 pm »
I love these threads  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS