Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A question for the physicists - now with poll  (Read 8382 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: A question for the physicists - now with poll
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 05:46:25 pm »
Fsmnutter is right.  The driving force for losing the the heat is the temperature difference between the coffee and the air. If you put the milk in first, that reduces the driving force for heat loss, so less heat gets lost whilst you're waiting your 10 minutes.

Rosemary - in case you were wondering, Q=UAdT(Lmtd)   ;)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 05:49:03 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 05:58:23 pm »
Surely it depends on what your drinking it out of, I.e. Tall mug, cup etc cos of its surface area in contact with the air?

I only drink out of a saucer these days

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 06:33:17 pm »
Yep, rate of cooling is dependent on the difference between the drink and the room temp. So BH's will cool faster in the first instance. However, it will have been hotter to start with, and they'll both cool to room temperature in due course.

The point is where each one is on its cooling curve, after 10 mins. Which will depend on starting temp, the room temp, how much milk you put in, what temp the milk was......

I see an experiment and thermometers in your future  :D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 06:56:34 pm »
If I'm going outside I put my hot drinks in one of these Thermos mug thingies - does that make a difference?  :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 07:21:35 pm »
If I'm going outside I put my hot drinks in one of these Thermos mug thingies - does that make a difference?  :roflanim:

Yes.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 07:46:16 pm »
You are not disappointing me, TASers !   ;D  :roflanim:

You may be right about the experimenting, jaykay - but not till all me pet lambs are weaned!  lol
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 07:58:26 pm »
I'm with fsmnutter too; leavng it without milk will result in more heat being lost.

mine is a totally unbiased opinion as I don't drink tea or coffee.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 09:03:19 pm »
Fascinating. Never thought of all that  ;D
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 10:04:12 pm »
I disagree with fsm nutter  and mab.

The liquid only seems to cool quicker. It's hotter to start with as it hasn't had the coolant of the milk added.
If the milk is added immediately then the temperature drops suddenly and subsequent cooling is done at a steady rate. The drink without milk rapidly loses it's first bit of heat then slows down.

Then if my drink and OH drink is made at the same time, both with milk added at time of making then mine will be cooler.
oH cup is tall and thick walled, mine is smaller with a wider open top thus the heat will evaporate quicker.

Then if OH takes his outside while chopping wood,  his will cool quicker than mine being cupped in both hands in front of the log burner  :excited:

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 10:53:46 pm »
Agree with Fsmnutter and Womble. It's not a linear function. The greater the differential between the liquid temperature and the air temperature, the greater the energy loss, therefore the faster the temperature fall. When you add the milk, the liquid will average the temperature between the coffee and the liquid (weighted average because there will be more coffee than milk). I've started jotting down numbers but then realised that's all getting a bit obsessive. But basically you're better off leaving it hot for longer so that the most evaporation happens, leaving the coffee cooler and then averaging by volume between the cooler coffee and milk rather than reducing the temperature first with milk when the evaporation will then be less so it won't cool as much.

Personally I hate coffee so whatever you do to it, it'll still be awful (although I love the smell so in theory I'd appreciate you adding the milk later so I get to appreciate the smell for longer!). Quite a lot of scientific effort has been spent on the old conundrum of whether to heat the tea pot first or not too.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 11:07:30 pm »
I voted that I didn't care but I still read all the posts and now I'm  ??? ??? ???

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2014, 07:23:48 am »
the worst thing ever, has got to be, coffee made with hot milk…… i could throw up every time i see that layer of skin floating on top……. anyway…always add the milk after, as i like mine strong

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2014, 09:04:26 am »
the worst thing ever, has got to be, coffee made with hot milk…… i could throw up every time i see that layer of skin floating on top……. anyway…always add the milk after, as i like mine strong

Wouldn't it be boring if we were all the same!  Now I have the Rayburn I can make myself hot-milky coffee whenever I want  :excited:  :yum:

Umm... why is it stronger if you add the milk after?  If you add the same amount of milk, surely it has the same strength whether the milk goes in first or second?  Or did you mean tea - in which case I agree, the flavour develops better if you let it steep for a few minutes before adding the milk.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2014, 01:03:23 pm »
if you add the milk before, you may put in to much… by adding it after, you can get the right amount..nothing worse than over milky coffee ……..bluuuuuuuuu  ;D

and over stewed tea is a big no no  ;D as is under stewed tea …i.m sounding fussy  ;D
and always smell the milk 1st….

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2014, 03:08:17 pm »
…i.m sounding fussy  ;D

No, really?   :eyelashes:  Do you think so?   :-J

Many many many moons ago, I was preparing to take my then new boyfriend (later to be my husband and now unfortunately my ex-hubby) to meet my family for the first time.

I explained that we were the sort of household where, if you wanted a hot drink, you just helped yourself, and asked everyone else if they'd like one too.

And then I explained who drank what and how...

By the time I finished he had collapsed down the kitchen cupboards to the floor, literally crying with laughter and gasping for breath. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS