Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Eggs just not quite right  (Read 3485 times)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Eggs just not quite right
« on: April 17, 2014, 08:38:38 am »
Some of our eggs (I think probably from one or two hens) are just not quite right at the moment.  They look and taste completely fine, but the membrane, if that's the right word, between yolk and white seems to be extremely thin - if I am not very, very careful, the yolk breaks when you crack the egg, tip it into the frying pan, try to separate them for baking etc.  Fine for scrambled and so on, but a bit frustrating, any advice?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Eggs just not quite right
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 10:30:42 am »
Worms can affect egg quality and size Mowhaugh. We've just done some of ours as the laying rate had dropped, they were small and the shell had 'bobbles' on. A week later and the size has gone up 20% and they lay every day with smooth shells. So if worms can have those effects perhaps the membrane could be affected as well, although we haven't noticed that?

When were they last done with Fubenvet? I must confess we left ours rather late as our records showed they had never been wormed before and are now 18 months old. They slipped through the 'net'!

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 07:51:42 am »
Actually, they are a bit overdue, because when I went to order some pellets, the card I tried to use had expired, and I had totally forgotten about it until now- that was about 5 weeks ago!  Will get onto it ASAP, thank you.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 08:44:53 am »
It's ordered, thank you again - hope it does solve the problem!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 04:29:29 pm »
I wormed my flock a couple of weeks ago and have definitely noticed and increase in a. production and b. shell quality, and for the first time since I got them in August last year both of my ducks are laying... coincidence? I'd definitely worm them all, try to get the flubenvet already pre made into the layers pellets, about £15 for 20kg but definitely worth it.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 04:48:40 pm »
Yes, that is what I have ordered, will let you know if it makes a difference.

F.CUTHBERT

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 11:58:28 pm »
is there any withdrawal period with laying birds when you worm them? There is nearly always a withdrawal period for meat and milk.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 08:07:43 am »
I'm just doing mine - and the bag says no withdrawal of eggs. 
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 08:38:03 am »
is there any withdrawal period with laying birds when you worm them? There is nearly always a withdrawal period for meat and milk.
Depends on what wormer you use. There is no withdrawal with flubenvet  :thumbsup:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 10:43:41 pm »
any improvement?
how often should hens be wormed anyway?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 07:18:33 am »
Every 6 months Shygirl. Perhaps more frequently in a small run and less frequently free ranging. We have just started doing ours after 12 months, which is clearly too late. Egg quality was suffering, with the size down, frequency down and rough textured eggshells. We had one who actually poo'd worms, which means her condition was chronic. When the worms are killed they are digested and give off toxins. If there are a lot of worms the toxins will kill the bird. Fortunately she survived but the poo after the first dose was horrible and slimy!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 08:02:09 am »
Mine are same but I have been told it is the bronchial thing, not worms,and only cure for that is cull flock and start again.... Which I'm not going to do at the moment unless they start to seem unhealthy...

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 08:12:27 am »
any improvement?
how often should hens be wormed anyway?

Not yet, but by the time the pellets came by mail order with the Easter holiday weekend in the middle, they are only on their second day of pellets, so we will see.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 11:06:44 am »
i think my old hens may have been wormy as their eggs were very runny, both whites and yolks.
how long can the ground take to recover before restocking?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS