Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking for free range meat bird eggs to hatch  (Read 2584 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Looking for free range meat bird eggs to hatch
« on: April 17, 2014, 06:34:20 am »
This year we have enough laying hens so I am planning to put meat bird eggs under our broody this summer.

Does anybody know of a supplier of free range meat chicken eggs? Or can recommend a breed/strain to go for? I am not looking for industrial broiler-type strains - just something that will grow to a good meaty size slowly outdoors.

Any suggestions?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
Re: Looking for free range meat bird eggs to hatch
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 10:03:59 am »
If you ever get to Kidderminster Bromsgrove way I can direct you to a guy, he produces 10,000 a week under contract, if you walked in there he would sell you some
Fantastic set up very little land the sheds/kit were a million quid, very interesting to see how the big boys do it.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 10:54:01 am »
Thanks Andy. 10,000 a week sounds a bit industrial to me. I'm not looking for something that's going to fall off its legs within a couple of months.

However, I would be interested to follow that up - having been let down by another supplier. I can go back home via Kidderminster on a Friday.

Are you able to give me his details?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 09:54:55 pm »
I've got Orpingtons which are a really good sized meat bird (originally developed as a dual purpose breed but now lower on egg laying in favour of fluff). They are very slow growing though - takes 30 odd weeks to get to a really good size although Priscilla Middleton who's one of the top breeders reckons they hit a nice meaty phase at about 9 weeks too (that's when she selects out some of the cockerels onto the table).

Not wishing to count my chicks before they hatch because there are a couple more yet to get completely out but I think I've just got 19 out of 21 hatched (the other two were fertile but died mid-term) so really happy with their fertility at the moment if you do want some. I've only got five laying hens in two different colours (the buffs are bigger) so I couldn't do enormous numbers but certainly enough to put under a broody.

Ryder

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 01:37:28 pm »
Andy, could I have details of that supplier?  I live in birmingham.   Also do you know what cross or breed he does?

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 02:06:57 pm »
I would Ixworth would be a good bet. Plenty of eggs on ebay at the moment. I've just hatched 4 yesterday under a broody.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS