Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Beware!! Early fly strike!!  (Read 2903 times)

Shenleysouthdown

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Shenley, Hertfordshire
  • Small Southdown Flock
Beware!! Early fly strike!!
« on: April 16, 2014, 10:45:28 pm »
We dagged all of our sheep 3 weeks ago, properly, using clippers. They are all clean, with no diarrhoea, but today I noticed one of the shearlings stamping her hind legs & appearing very agitated! On closer inspection we found she had a small area of fly strike in the clipped, clean area. We treated the area with Crovect to kill the maggots & put fly strike cream on the area is she is fine now.

I wasn't intending to treat them all with Clikzin for a few weeks - but going to do them all tomorrow now this has happened. We are trying Clikzin this year pre shearing as we had a few with fly strike last year despite using Crovect, although after using Clik after shearing we had no problems all summer, despite the hot summer!

I though I should post to suggest everyone is mindful of possible early fly strike & be on the lookout & use anti fly strike treatment ASAP.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 10:47:10 pm by Shenleysouthdown »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Beware!! Early fly strike!!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 08:05:49 am »
Thanks for the warning.
I don't like to Clik before shearing for the sake of the shearer and myself, as I spin the fleece. Last year I did the girls with Dynamite pre shearing. It has to be done weekly though. It was recommended by someone on here.
I didn't have any early strike problems but it's difficult to know if it was the Dynamite or I was just lucky

Funnily enough, just before reading this today I went out and got the Dynamite ready to do mine.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Shenleysouthdown

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Shenley, Hertfordshire
  • Small Southdown Flock
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 02:35:42 pm »
Thanks for the warning.
I don't like to Clik before shearing for the sake of the shearer and myself, as I spin the fleece. Last year I did the girls with Dynamite pre shearing. It has to be done weekly though. It was recommended by someone on here.
I didn't have any early strike problems but it's difficult to know if it was the Dynamite or I was just lucky

Funnily enough, just before reading this today I went out and got the Dynamite ready to do mine.

Hi Bionic
We used Clikzin as it is shorter acting (up to 8 weeks protection) than Clik, so suitable for pre-shearing. We are trying it for the first time this year as we were so impressed with Clik last year and Clikzin works in the same way.

Very impressed that you spin your won wool!!

Lynn

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 08:29:05 am »
Hi
We don't usually have problems with fly strike at this time of the year, because our sheep are above sea level.
the main thing is to keep them clean and healthy from unnecessary muck.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Shenleysouthdown

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Shenley, Hertfordshire
  • Small Southdown Flock
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 02:38:08 pm »
Hi
We don't usually have problems with fly strike at this time of the year, because our sheep are above sea level.
the main thing is to keep them clean and healthy from unnecessary muck.
Thanks waterbuffalofarmer. The sheep are in fact dagged and very clean & healthy, so I was very surprised to see the strike. We caught it very early as we keep a close eye on the sheep. I checked my medicine book & in fact we didn't use strike prevention until late may last year - so this case was particularly early & odd because the sheep are so clean - hence my reason for posting to warn others! All have been treated with Clikzin now!

Lynn

bplegs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 01:19:09 pm »
Hallo,

Thanks for the warning. No strike here yet but have just done a pre-emptive dosing.

Cheers
Emma

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 04:29:26 pm »
Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the warning. I think the weather is unusually warm for this time of year, :sunshine: so even though we are quite high up above the coastline, I will be extra diligent.

Many thanks  :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS