Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Trying to do the right thing  (Read 1765 times)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Trying to do the right thing
« on: April 16, 2014, 09:57:25 pm »
Grr feeling  >:( >:( >:(

I had an older ewe lamb just earlier, one big lamb first, and one tiny wee scrap about half an hour later.  By the time the scrap was born, the first one had guzzled all the colostrum, so I gave the scrap some powdered.  Dithered about whether to leave it with mum as it wasn't that warm and she was much more interested in the big one, but thought it was better with mum, so popped the bigger one in the next pen by itself, and mum licked the tiny lamb and so on, all looking good, thinking it might be fine, even when big bro was returned she was still keen on both, asked the lovely retired shepherd who is doing nights for us to check on it and see if he thought the ewe did have enough milk for both and he has just been in to tell me she was lying on the wee scrap and it is dead.  Wish I had taken it off her in the first place now.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
Re: Trying to do the right thing
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 10:01:05 pm »
Awww, so sorry, dont beat yourself up, probably one of those situations when whatever you did would have been the wrong thing.  :hug:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 02:11:44 am »
 :hug:

I would have done exactly what you did, if that makes you feel any better.  It's so much better for the lamb to be reared on a ewe than to be bottle-reared, it's always best to try for that.  And sometimes this happens.  :hug:

Concentrate on the lambs that are alive.  As BH says, if every ewe rears one good lamb, it's a good year.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 08:32:20 am »
We had a big tumphy looking Ryeland (previous owners had not shorn her for 2 years!) with two lovely lambs doing well and about 2 days old still penned up. OH checked them on their last morning before release to the Caithness weather and we decided to ring the tup lamb first. He came into the house to get the kit and myself and by the time we returned to the pen Mrs Tumphy had squished the little ewe lamb and she was dead. So it can happen in moments and nothing can be done except feel sad I'm afraid.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 09:33:18 am »
So sorry to hear about your loss  :bouquet:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS