Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: looking for pigs in Brittany!  (Read 4009 times)

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
looking for pigs in Brittany!
« on: April 16, 2014, 08:57:05 pm »
Hello all,
 I am based in Brittany. We are currently struggling to find interesting/rare breed weaners to fatten up. We are three families working together, so it's just for self consumption.
The pens are all ready in the forest, I can pick up. I am looking for GOS or Tamworth
or cross; other breeds would also be interesting. We are in Central Brittany; I know there are a few on the forum in France, so anyone near-ish, please get in touch. Thanks.

greedyasapig

• Joined Nov 2012
Re: looking for pigs in Brittany!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 09:06:20 pm »
Hi,
We have had a few pigs in the last few years... locally here it is possible to get some Saddlebacks . Also X saddlebacks with the large french white. An English fella locally breeds organically..
Otherwise look on Anglo info this is where we found our first GOS X from an english lady....
There was an advert for Tamworths about an hour north of us probably near to you on LE BON COIN free ads  2 weeks ago..again english lady by the look of advert..
Happy hunting
Wayne..
PS we are an hour south of Laval (53)

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 07:51:10 pm »
Hi Wonderwooly

We live in 79 and breed rare breed pigs - Berkshires; OSBs; GOS; MWs and various crosses. We regularly deliver weaners to Normandy and Brittany - registered elevage and registered transporter of pigs in France and our herd is registered with the BPA (UK)  /Chambre de Agri here in France.

Here is our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/lelogisrarebreedpigsinfrance.

If we hear of anybody your way with rarebreeds we will certainly let you know. You could also try the website www.pigsinfrance.com.

all the best

Lorraine

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 08:55:37 pm »
Hi there both Wayne and Lorraine and thank you for your posts.

I have since reserved two GOS weaners, very close to where we live.
however it is good to know for the future that we could find other breeders.
maybe next year.
I am sure to be back on the forum about the pigs as this is our first try at pigs.
so, vous parler bientôt
bis ross

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 12:45:21 pm »
We are down in 23 and I was going to suggest that you look on Angloinfo and Le boncoin.
We have taken french breeds and GOS as weaners and our worst year was with the GOS. The kill date for our GOS drifted 2 months becuase I need my neighbour to help - they were so fat it was embarassing when we split them. Beware of the GOS running to fat. Our Culnoir were the best for the range of cuts and preserving/processing techniques we used.
I hope all goes well.           
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 03:51:36 pm »
Glad you sourced some weaners - BTW one of the french breeds in your area is the blanc de l'ouest - http://www.races-de-bretagne.fr/decouvrez-les-races/porc-blanc-de-louest/ you might source some on the Le con coin

Enjoy the Old Spots  :thumbsup:

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 11:47:16 pm »
yep
blanc de l'ouest the iconic pig of Brittany!, there are breeders here but the ones I approached didn't have anything left this year. it is crazy but because Brittany is really
pig central of France but unfortunately that means big hangers stocked to the brim with
not so nice breeds or conditions.

so it is the gos we are going with this year, and thay are there and not far.
so, tell me about running to fat I have heard this term but to be honest I don't really know what it means or how to keep it in check.

these will be our first weaners so please feel free to tell me.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 01:17:29 am »
its easy to overfeed and under-exercise pigs, and they usually demand food all the time. feed them by eye, check their body condition weekly to make sure you can feel (but not see) their ribs and spine and how much fat they are carrying over their backs etc. experience takes time. once you see your first pig cut up, you can adjust your feeding for next time.

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 05:26:14 pm »
I agree with Shygirl - I think that most rarebreeds will run to fat if you over feed. Use your eye ( no saggy bottoms  ;D ;D ) - our GOS this year look slender but not thin and are working and not lying around being lazy. Have a look on the GOS website and also 'Fowgill Farm' is a wealth of info for GOS.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 09:47:05 pm »
I agee that experience must help identify pigs running to fat. But when you are keeping just a few weaners each year the subjective examination for back fat, estimation of activity and in activity is difficult. For example - our weaners can stay in their quarters ( within the barn) if it is too hot or if the snow is too deep. This means that their activity is weather dependent and is difficult to gauge variations in over their short lives. I am sure that those keeping many pigs across the year helps build up essential experience rather than just keeping a few eaners for home consumption. 

As in previious years I fed them large quantities of apples, pumpkins and chestnuts with veg rather than measure out pig nuts. They also had cooked potatoes and bread that I bulked out veg on a measured basis twice a day. In addition to this they could graze outside. i.e the same regeime every year
Also I could not determine by examination if they were too fat. We home kill and I butcher all pigs on the same day - so it is difficult to modify the diet of pigs post butchering when you kill all on the same day.
Given that little change in what I do from year to year and given just how fatty the GOS were I tend to think the GOS run to fat quicker than other breeds and x breeds that I have kept.

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS