Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: HELP! Potential sow drying up  (Read 2171 times)

danconfessed

• Joined Aug 2013
HELP! Potential sow drying up
« on: April 16, 2014, 11:00:11 am »
Hi all,

The 11 piglets are 4 days old at the moment, and I having a horrible feeling the sow is drying up!!  would her milk bar be as low and pronounced as it was when she gave birth?  Also should I be able to squeeze milk out as easy as when they were born?  The milk bar seems to have raised quite a bit and I don't seem to be able to get any milk out from any teats?!

Im really not looking forward to bottle feeding 11 piglets

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
Re: HELP! Potential sow drying up
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 11:49:12 am »
You should be able to squeeze milk out as before. Is she otherwise well and eating normally?
Are the piglets trying to feed constantly? Are they squealing and looking "hollow"?

Can you get hold of some oxytocin to help let down the milk? You only need about 0.5ml to 1ml, depending on her size.

If it does look like she's drying up, get some milk replacer NOW and a big saucer to try and get the piglets lapping.

Good luck.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

danconfessed

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 12:53:03 pm »
Thank you, im off to get some replacer now.  I found a recipe for using cows milk and have topped the smallest ones up.  They are feeding but only for a few seconds at a time and then she is getting up and walking off. one teat feels hard so it could be mastitis.  Do i need to call the vet for oxytocin?

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 03:41:27 pm »
yes and get a flaming move on! The longer you leave her the dryer she'll get , tell him about poss mastitits, he may need to come out.
HTH
mandy :pig:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 05:43:59 pm »
is she eating and drinking ok?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS