Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: HELP PLEASE: goose hypothermia  (Read 4998 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
HELP PLEASE: goose hypothermia
« on: April 16, 2014, 08:23:42 am »
Female goose, could hear her occasionally last night below our bedroom area but didn't think too much of it (we hear them all the time in the night) but this morning she couldn't get out of the river - presumably there all night, had to wade in and get her.  She's the only female not sitting and likes to get away from the boys but usually sits beside her friend who is sitting.  Otherwise she seemed fine yesterday (but you never know).

She's weak, can't see any injuries or anything wrong with the feet.

I've put her in a warm shed on a bed of soft hay with some wet brown bread within neck distance and will leave her for an hour before I check on her.

I wasn't sure if I should bring her inside to the kitchen (Aga warmth) or if that would be heating her up to quickly (is that a problem?).  It would scare her too and I'm not sure stress is the thing right now. 

Maybe get her in a big box with hay and leave her in the sun in a couple of hours once it heats up a bit more (looks like it'll be a sunny day).

Anybody got anything else to add?  Thanks in advance.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: HELP PLEASE: goose hypothermia
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 10:31:58 am »
The only thing I can think of is to perhaps syringe some twin lamb drench or similar into her - get some energy into her.

I wonder why she's got so weak? When was she last wormed? Do the others keep her from the food?

Generally they say you should get glucose or whatever into an animal before you warm them up, rather than the other way around.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 11:03:49 am »
I one had one stuck in their plastic pond, long time ago but I think she may have been moulting, not waterproofed and was 'waterlogged'.
I toweled her off best I could and left her with food and water (this was in the evening).
She was fine.
agree about worming, if she is starting to moult it takes a lot out of them (must do mine!)
Sheltered spot in the sun would be nice.
Looking at the time you posted I bet she's up and about by now.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 01:52:34 pm »
 :D  thanks both, she's in the food shed which is out of draughts and lots of natural light and I'm just going out to see her again.  She seemed fine about an hour ago but don't think she's walking properly so will have a look at the leg once OH home and he can hold her. 

Note that about the twin lamb Jaykay, just bought some last week but I'll wait a bit and see how she goes before I do that.

She's one of the new geese and I last wormed in January before she arrived so I'll flubenvet and see what comes.  Many thanks.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 04:51:41 pm »
Might be better to use Panacur (is that the spelling?) for geese. It's not licensed for poultry use but is effective and can be dosed directly. Trouble with Flubenvet is that it requires them to eat the dosed pellets exclusively which is impossible for geese at this time of year I imagine.

Hope she's up and about soon.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 06:58:25 pm »
Flubenvet I've used is just in their grain and she's eating it Hester.  I've used panacur to in the past.  She seems fine in herself now but she is having trouble getting about, she can stand though.  She's in a pen with a house and grain and water. 

I'm just going to leave her for a bit and see how she goes, she doesn't look like an ill goose thankfully.  :fc:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 07:19:24 pm »
the simplest way to warm up a cold body is to give them a warm bath.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 07:44:13 pm »
Good for things you can dry afterwards easily......

Glad she sounds as though she's doing better  :fc:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 12:41:59 pm »
Might be better to use Panacur (is that the spelling?) for geese. It's not licensed for poultry use but is effective and can be dosed directly. Trouble with Flubenvet is that it requires them to eat the dosed pellets exclusively which is impossible for geese at this time of year I imagine.

Hope she's up and about soon.
I'm never happy about Flubenvet for the geese, Panacur sounds interesting, how do you decide the dose Hesterf?
(And is it still in syringe type thing for oral dosing?)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 09:17:11 pm »
Panacur sounds interesting, how do you decide the dose Hesterf?
(And is it still in syringe type thing for oral dosing?)

Ha! This is where I'm just good at dishing out advice  ;)! I try and use flubenvet midwinter so they're not grazing at the same time (not that that worked this year - it was either pouring with rain or the grass was growing, or both). But I asked that the geese were wormed before I bought them and they used Panacur. I've also used it on a chicken under advice from the vets. Dose was based on weight and, yes, via a syringe - can't remember how many doses but more than one which is what makes it slightly annoying. Also not sure how I'd weigh a goose - I find a chicken hard enough - but you'd probably be able to have a good guess when you pick it up. I'd just get an idea of the weights and then phone up the vet and ask them to prescribe - hopefully most would be happy to do it without asking to see all the geese first. You can probably get it on line too.

H

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 01:32:04 am »
quote]

Also not sure how I'd weigh a goose - I find a chicken hard enough - but you'd probably be able to have a good guess when you pick it up.
H

Like goat kids - weigh myself on old bathroom scales, pick beastie up then back on scales :-)

Thanks for info. :thumbsup:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 11:24:03 am »
while you've all been chatting away, she's fine  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS