Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: problems with ring castration  (Read 3733 times)

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
problems with ring castration
« on: April 16, 2014, 08:23:32 am »
Hi

Im probably worrying about nothing but thought it worth asking.

I took my ram lamb to the vet yesterday for her to do the rubber ring castration (never done before), and I am just a tad concerned that it appears to be dragging one leg when trying to walk around.

Should I be concerned?

Ta

K

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
Re: problems with ring castration
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 08:35:43 am »
 Crossing my legs as I write this, but if you witnessed the  event, and it went ok, I have found some lambs feel the discomfort more than others. I would wait a day then if he doesn't improve ring the vet. I am rubbish at this procedure so get my neighbour to do it. Could I ask how much the vet charged please? PM me if you like.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 05:07:07 pm »
There is a nerve that runs very close to where the bands go which can get caught by the band when castrating.  Lamb will be fine in a few days. xx

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 05:25:29 pm »
If in doubt, ring your vet and ask them.  They may prefer to remove the band and put a new one on.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 05:38:28 pm »
Am ringing circa 50 lambs per day and none now or ever have had a leg problem after, so something is wrong ??

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 05:40:57 pm »
its never happened to us so speak to the vet. there are urinary tubes etc  that can get caught, so it worth checking.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 10:04:47 pm »
Frankly just reading this thread is making ME cross my legs!!  :o
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 08:26:56 am »
Hi

After a couple of days he seemed back to normal, but i was worried that the vet had caught something as he's a miniature sheep which must make it harder.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 09:56:29 am »
Oh!  Now you've said he's a mini...  I would have a look see and check that neither testicle is either caught in the band, or has slipped right back through.  If it's important he isn't a rig (with an internal testicle - which, beware, can start to work in a very cold winter - ask me how I know  ::)), then take him back to the vet for a double check.

Am ringing circa 50 lambs per day and none now or ever have had a leg problem after, so something is wrong ??

Agree.  Up to 10 mins discomfort is not unusual; very rarely up to 30 minutes.  More than that and I would investigate because something is not right.

I castrate a lot of lambs but haven't yet ringed my Shetland x boys as their wee nuts are only every so slightly larger than the hole in the centre of the ring!  I am resigned to possibly having to pay the vet to castrate them later on, because by the time their nuts are large enough I won't be able to catch them!  lol

The only one I've felt happy to ring is the BFL x Shetland - he's about the same size as he'd be if his mum was a Swaledale.  The others, which are more than 50% Shetland and mostly 75%+ primitive / small breeds - no chance!

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 02:48:46 pm »
a mini sheep?
what is that?  :thinking:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS