Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is anyone selling beehives and bees?  (Read 4279 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Is anyone selling beehives and bees?
« on: April 16, 2014, 08:07:40 am »
Hi
I am looking for at least one beehive and some bees for 2014. However I have not been able to find any bees.
Can anyone help?
Thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Is anyone selling beehives and bees?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 09:12:44 am »
Do you want second hand hives or new? Whereabouts are you?
Last year we bought bees from Melindwr Valley Bees, Aberstwyth. He sells hives too
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 09:25:02 am »
I'm not really bothered second hand hives would be good provided they are in good condition.
We are based in mid wales. Here is the link to our website.
http://www.buffalodairy.co.uk/
Thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 12:11:53 pm »
Ah, I see you are up near Aberstwyth yourself, so you can't be far from the people I gave you the details of.
Failing that you can always buy hives from Thornes. They are expensive but pretty good.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 02:11:58 pm »
Hi,
Yes, just been on their website, looks interesting and not too far away. Thanks very much for the lead.
Best wishes
Eirene

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 08:37:12 pm »
There's also Fragile Planet in Oswestry who are pretty good. I got a nuc from then last year and they are a cracking colony.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 10:53:08 pm »
If you're handy with a bench saw & a router etc  you can make the brood boxes , bases & supers etc.etc.  yourself for a fraction of the price of the big boys selling prices and make them in western red cedar to boot ( very long lasting wood ) ..

Thorne's & others sell metric or imperial sized " National bee hive "  plans and several other sized plans as well so does the British Bee Keepers association (BBKA)

I made the vast majority of my own fifty national metric sized hives .

Having set standardized  sized hives helps no end as all parts are interchangeable.
You'll  only need one type of frame style , super or brood box etc.
 I've taught keepers who had four or five different types of " car boot/auction  " hives and all manner of hotchpotch devices to make incorrect frames sit in the supers & brood boxes.
They didn't do very well in the long term as they always had problems with things .

The only thing I got from Thornes in the end was the self spacing all wood Langstroth ( ? ) style frames & frame pins as I'd managed to get hold of a foundation moulding set at an auction for pennies .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

WillieBee

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Whitley Bay
    • Urban Hives
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 02:35:53 pm »
This company also make hives, they are pretty cheap too.

http://www.caddon-hives.co.uk/National-Beehives/National-Bee-Hive/

Another hive maker, actually based in my home town can be seen below. Their hives are good, but as cheap. Their website is ..

http://thehivemaker.co.uk/the-hive/

Good luck in your venture.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS