Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Touchy goat  (Read 10055 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Touchy goat
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 04:57:00 pm »
I did look at them and wonder what they were like. I think a little ebaying is called for.  ;D

Trixie

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 05:02:37 pm »
As you can tell I am always looking at it and buying - too much stuff - but it does save me alot in the long run

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 10:09:25 am »
I agree with your thinking Trixie, all of ours are used to being hand milked or machine milked, just in case some total stranger has to milk them in an emergency. It's unlikely for us given our circumstances, but better to be safe rather than sorry.

Beth

Trixie

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 06:40:34 pm »
Hi Ballingall,It would only be myself or my OH to milk but as we are limited on time in the mornings we get up between 3.30am -4 everyday (except xmas day) we are only gone for 2-3 hrs but it would either be get up half an hour earlier to milk in which case we could take it in turns to do it he would use machine I might as well in the mornings, or do it later but if between 8 - 9am then that would make us later milking at night and we go to bed early because of early starts. I know in books and speaking to people you are supposed to milk every 12 hours or as close to it as you can if you milked earlier than that would you still get same amount of milk or less? Sorry if its a daft question but new to this and thought it must be that amount of time for milk to fill udder up again, that doesn't sound right but I'm sure you get what I mean, thanks

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2014, 07:21:11 pm »
Your goats have to fit with you. So develop whatever routine suits you. You don't need to milk at 12 hours apart if that doesn't suit.

At shows, it often happens that you milk the goats in the evening at 6pm, then in the morning they aren't milked until 7:30 or 8am- which is a 14 hour gap.

We have a friend who worked in her local chip shop- she used to milk the goats at 1am when she got in from work, and in the morning at 9:30 once she'd got the kids off to school.

Personally I don't believe in the goats ruling your life- they have to fit in with your life. I've also known people who milk at 6:30am, and 6:30pm on the dot, and if you deviate from that their goats get really traumatised, so I don't think it's the best.

Beth

Trixie

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 07:32:54 pm »
Hi Beth thanks for that, as 1 of us is always at home apart from early they do sort of rule us a bit they get loads of attention and I am sure they can tell the time!!They are always bleeting at the fence at feed times during the day will have to start altering times abit in readiness for milking.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2014, 12:22:05 am »
I can just imagine the looks I would get if I tried getting this lot up for milking at 1am! I get funny looks if disturb their beauty sleep before 7am!
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2014, 08:50:49 am »
I only milk once a day, in the  mornings. And leave the kids with mum all day (by the time they're old enough for me to be milking, I shut them the other side of a mesh partition overnight).

I have a full-time job away from the house, with variable end times, so this system suits me and the goats. And since there's only me, that's still more milk than I can drink, when two of them are milking.

I use an Udderly Ez for milking, have done for years. It's a hand pump, has been robust, you can get spare parts. For me it speeds things up because I milk straight in the bottle, the bottle goes in the fridge, job done. No filtering or anything. No long tubes to clean, and if someone else has to milk occasionally for me, it feels much the same to the goats.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2014, 10:42:27 pm »
When I was on twice daily milking, I milked at 14 hour and 10 hour intervals as that suited me. The goats were perfectly happy with that.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2014, 11:10:04 pm »

I use an Udderly Ez for milking, have done for years. It's a hand pump, has been robust, you can get spare parts.

where did you buy it, please? they look fab.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2014, 08:36:15 pm »
Hi Little Blue if you are they are £39.20 + £13.81 postage from Dansha Farms United States a

thanks for that :)
(sorry, not been on here for ages....!)
Little Blue

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2014, 06:23:57 am »
I bought my UdderlyEz directly from the States years ago.

I get spares from sales(at)horserequisites.co.uk. I see they sell the pump and bottles for horses (it was originally developed to milk colostrum from mares). Website www.horserequisites,co,uk

The pump is universal, The only differences are the insert tubes to fit goats' teats and the quart bottles necessary to accommodate all that lovely goats' milk. It might be worth talking to them, they can probably get you the goat parts.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2014, 10:13:01 am »
I just bought an Udderly EZ from Ebay. It was new and from one of the UK stockists. It arrived very quickly and it has been a godsend for milking the poorly nanny while she is lying down. If there isn't one listed at the moment let me know and I will pm you the contact details.

Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS