Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pecked-to-bits newcomer  (Read 4590 times)

raindogs

• Joined May 2012
Pecked-to-bits newcomer
« on: April 15, 2014, 06:07:35 pm »
I've got two old (but still laying chooks), and a friend recently gave me a POL Black Rock. I've had her in a separate area for two weeks. I've now started to try and integrate her. It's horrible to watch, Henny (Bluebell, leader of the peck) is hunting her down and giving her a right treading and pecking, drawing blood. I've made sure I'm around, just letting them be together for a few minutes.

Anyone any experience of this, and helpful advice? I wondered if Henny just needed to show who's boss, and then get on with it - but it seems not to be the case.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks, philip

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Pecked-to-bits newcomer
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 06:49:50 pm »
try a separate run within your run for the newbie, or a large crate etc so they can get used to each other safely, then introduce them at night, when they are all sleepy, by putting the new one in the coop.
I would spray the bullied hen with anti-pecking spray as they stuff we bought tasted absolutely vile.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 07:00:30 pm »
chooks can be so barbaric to each other. Sounds like you did everything right (assuming separate area was adjacent))  with poss exception of one thing- introduce a lone one. the first time we introduced a newbie to our little flock of three we did exactly the same thing. they just never let up and sadly she died after several weeks of hell. since then many years ago we have never introduced one alone and its never happened again. any new arrivals will provoke a degree of unrest and establishing the order but at least with more than one they get to share the hassle and have each other. if at all poss  i'd stick her back on her own in run adjacent and get another one before reintroducing. we introduced 3 POL last year and after a week in a run within the main run we opened the gate and there was not a peck in sight. not always that smooth but can be made easier

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 07:02:13 pm »
She's outnumbered so I would separate the other hens into another house and put her in the house you want her to live in with the others. At the minute she is outnumbered and on the other hens territory. Gradually introduce them in the day with a fence or run separating. I bought 15 new ex free range hens in December and they had to stay separate for a good 3 months until they were fully feathered and strong enough to stand up for themselves. Hens can be really nasty when they want to be  :-\

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 04:40:46 am »
Twizzel has a good solution there Raindogs. It depends what facilities you have. An alternative is to take one from the existing flock and keep her with the newcomer for sufficient time for them to 'buddy up', then introduce as you have done but as a pair. It is a very difficult thing to do introducing a solitary bird. They are doomed to a miserable and lonely existence in my experience. It helps a lot if when they are introduced the overall run size is increased and extra feeder and drinker added to diffuse the pressure areas. She could so easily be bullied off the feeder and starve. The existing hens are only instinctively protecting their territory and food supply.

raindogs

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 04:54:22 pm »
Thanks very much, everyone, great advice. Really helpful, and I appreciate greatly your time and thought.

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 11:55:33 am »
I've just introduced 2 POL to my established 3 pack and the Light Sussex Floss is being a cow. I was advised to remove the leader for a short while - putting her back in at night. Leave the new ones with the other established ones to bond during the day and get used to their environment.

I would point out I haven't done this yet - I'm hoping mine will sort themselves out. The Skylines settled better than the Speckedly but both tend to hide up top of house unless I kick them down so I might put Floss into the other house we have and try it.

Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 03:04:06 pm »
I would separate the light sussex as they will keep bullying and sometimes don't sort themselves out- they will kill the other one in a worst case scenario .

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 11:48:54 pm »
I've got a similar issue with a new girl , now 2 months here and still not accepted. I hoped they would eventually integrate her but no....I can't separate as they are free range. most hours they go their own ways during the day but feeding time is an issue.  The new one is very tame, has adopted me as her protector and sleeps with the young ducks (her decision) . I wish I'd handled it differently (got another of her sisters for company)....

raindogs

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 12:05:38 pm »
Two months on and all is well.

The technique that worked well was separating the bully and leaving newbie with the middle chook. Took a while, but all happy now.

Last time I ever accept a single chook, though.

Have a great summer everyone.

And thanks.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 12:23:29 pm »
Two months on and all is well.

The technique that worked well was separating the bully and leaving newbie with the middle chook. Took a while, but all happy now.

Last time I ever accept a single chook, though.

Have a great summer everyone.

And thanks.

Good to hear!
Here things are not perfect still as our newbie just has no inclination to accept the boy....I might have to give him away as he's a wee bit surplus to requirements, not had a broody hen for 3 years...hopefully things will improve after with the newbie.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS