Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig Arks  (Read 7669 times)

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
Pig Arks
« on: April 14, 2014, 08:56:16 pm »
Are there any Scottish pig ark companies? We got ours from bidgiemire but think they have stopped, im sure they are TAS members?

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Re: Pig Arks
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 09:35:49 pm »
Solway Recycling are in Scotland and do pig arcs.

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 09:09:09 pm »
always think the Solway ones would get too hot in the summer, have seen some at shows and they feel really hot on a sunny day. Does anybody have one?

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 09:25:54 pm »
We do have one and don't have problems with heat, but it is in the shade, not sure what it would be like in the open.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 10:27:43 pm »
Have you seen the price of the Solway ones though  :o

If it's for your KK's then why not think about a plastic oil tank (you can usually find them second hand for not too much) we've got 2 now.....and I'm always on the look out for more  ;)
You just need to cut a hole in the front for a door, drill some ventilation holes in the back then pressure wash and disinfect it and it's good to go  :thumbsup:
They already have a floor (which doesn't leak the way some do  :innocent:) They're super easy to move (me and the kids can roll them around) and they are usually dark green, so as long as they're in the shade they stay cool and blend in. They're ample big enough for a KK sow and litter or a couple of adults  :thumbsup:

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 08:34:30 am »
Have you seen the price of the Solway ones though  :o

If it's for your KK's then why not think about a plastic oil tank (you can usually find them second hand for not too much) we've got 2 now.....and I'm always on the look out for more  ;)
You just need to cut a hole in the front for a door, drill some ventilation holes in the back then pressure wash and disinfect it and it's good to go  :thumbsup:
They already have a floor (which doesn't leak the way some do  :innocent:) They're super easy to move (me and the kids can roll them around) and they are usually dark green, so as long as they're in the shade they stay cool and blend in. They're ample big enough for a KK sow and litter or a couple of adults  :thumbsup:

Ours was off Preloved!

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 08:22:31 pm »
Looking for someone that is buying my piglets, they didn't like the sound of the oil drum as I suggested that.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 08:54:43 pm »
Karen didn't mean an oil drum, a oil tank as in large plastic green tank.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 09:35:15 pm »
Yeah BB, something like this one...

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 02:36:31 pm »
thats doesnt look to far off a plastic sty. when we looked the sties were a good £600 plus delivery.
where do you see them advertised 2nd hand karen?

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 06:07:32 pm »
well theres this one in aberdeenshire

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/plastic-heating-oil-tank/1057400384

there are others out there is you can use google...

HappyHippy

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 11:28:32 am »
Sometimes on eBay Shygirl, sometimes preloved or gumtree - freegle is another good place to try.
Just keep your eyes open and ask around at builders/heating engineers yards - they sometimes take out old ones and have them knocking around, check notices in local shops - it's always easier to find them locally when you're in an area I think, but does need some degree of detective work  ;)

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 11:58:39 am »
I've been looking at making one,

without a floor, an 8ft x 8ft x 4ft high would cost 160 pounds to make thats using 4 sheets of 2ft wide  curved galvanised
4x 10ft 3x2 planks and two 12 mm sheets of ply add another 50 pounds for floor ..210 pounds

sorry my pound sign button don't work

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 12:30:35 pm »
We've made arcs using curves of corrugated too John - the metal works fine but the wood, so far, has been a nightmare  ::)
We used 12mm exterior ply first time round and it lasted a matter of months (got to stress it was fully grown, Large Black & OSB sows & a boar that were housed in them  ;)) we then upped the thickness to 18mm exterior ply, it lasted a bit longer..............but not much  :-\
I suspect for a long lasting (adult proof) arc you'd need marine ply - but it could just be a combination of badly behaved pigs and very wet Scottish weather that's been my downfall  :innocent:
We make our floors using pallets, topped with ply/osb board, then covered with stable matting to protect the wood underneath and give a non slip surface  :thumbsup:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 10:52:16 am »
Check out Smiths of the Forest of Dean for tanks of all sizes.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS