Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly girl - any ideas?  (Read 12673 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Poorly girl - any ideas?
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2014, 10:34:40 pm »
Oh CC, you have my sympathy. My OH is the same about my girls and lets me know every time I ask him to do anything more than carry the heavy stuff for me.

I think this loose ligament thing must be quite common, in humans at any rate. My friend had similar trouble with her pelvic area of her back through most of her pregnancy. It soon was back to normal after she gave birth though. Hopefully, it'll be the same with your girl.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2014, 10:37:57 pm »
Loads of willow branches - contains a natural form of aspirin. And if they peel the bark off - it entertains for hours...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2014, 07:20:33 am »
Hopefully he'll bond with her as he's been having to help her so much.......(how can anyone dislike goats?)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2014, 05:06:08 pm »
Well I think I have just accomplish the world's most difficult task  :)  Her udder was so tight I needed to milk some of it off as I was concerned about mastitis with her lying on it all the time. So I had to milk her whilst she was lying down and she has never been milked before. I think I deserve a choccy biscuit.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2014, 06:14:23 pm »
I think you deserve the whole packet of choccy biscuits.
Anne

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2014, 07:31:08 pm »
Bet that was fun  ::)
Graham

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2014, 11:14:33 pm »
I agree with Daisy's mum - a whole packet.

Did she try to get up when you started milking her?

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2014, 09:10:44 am »
No she didn't but she kept rolling herself upright so I couldn't get at her udder and she is bloomin heavy to shift over.

I am so worried about her. I really hope it gets better once she kids as it would break my heart to lose her.

I am now going to have to find out about bottle feeding as my intention was to leave kids on and only separate them at night once they are a bit older to do a once a day milking. They won't be able to feed from her if she is  down. I guess I'll have to try to perfect my milking a recumbent goat technique and then give it to kids in their bottle - eek.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2014, 09:42:46 am »
You'll get Calciject at Harbro in Huntly - Calciject 20 is the one for sheep so probably best for goats too.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2014, 07:25:38 pm »
I have only just seen since, I have a fantastic Goat vet I could of put you in contact with, she works for Glenythan vets,  she was a goat keeper for a long time. Anyway, I do hope she gets thru kidding ok, please let me know how it goes.

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2014, 08:18:42 pm »
Hiya. What a nightmare. Nowt easy with goats!!
Rosemary also a fantastic painkiller with the willow. Fresh or dry. I've given as much as they want when needed. Good luck with her.  :fc::fc:
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2014, 08:25:26 pm »
Have you googled 'goat sling', it's worth thinking about - maybe fixing up a pulley system to get her up enough to milk her - also - I bought one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dansha-Farms-Goat-Sheep-Cow-Battery-Powered-Milk-Machine-One-Quart-Two-Teat-/200949480777?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec985bd49

which could be used even with her lying down

Fingers crossed that she soon gets better  :fc:

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2014, 09:03:48 pm »
I asked my vet about slings but they weren't very helpful. One said it might squish the kids.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS