Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: dressing hens  (Read 2784 times)

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
dressing hens
« on: April 14, 2014, 04:39:40 pm »
Hi, is there anyone in the Ipswich/bury area planning on dispatching any chickens or ducks for meat? Recently dispatched a cockerel - no problems plucking it but made a complete mess of gutting it and wondered if anyone would be prepared to show us how to do it properly. We did watch some you tube video  ??? but still made a mess!! They make it look so easy.   :huff:!!
Heather

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
Re: dressing hens
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 04:50:55 pm »
If you can't find anyone closer, I'm about an hour away from you I think, just north of Cambridge and have a couple of cockerels I'm planning on dispatching in the near future.

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 01:43:24 pm »
Thank you so much for the offer, but a little far. I still really appreciate the offer though.
Heather

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 10:45:08 pm »
i taught myself from the john seymour books.

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 05:54:17 am »
My wife can just do it, to be honest she is one of these that can do anything without being taught  :rant:

I read a bit then watch you tube

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 07:59:51 am »
I can do it, but have to remind myself with John Seymour book each time!  And it takes a LONG time.... So I've started just taking legs and breasts, no plucking .   I would love to be able to dress one efficiently too...

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 08:45:00 am »
I can't remember how I learned to dress a chicken Madchickenlady? It must have been a book or article somewhere and my technique has very slowly improved with practice. One thing I still struggle with is cutting around the vent, because knives seem to be the wrong instrument and it is far too easy to rupture the abdominal sac or slice your fingers. Now I use a Swan Morton surgical scalpel with a curved blade, but I did start with a Stanley knife blade held between my fingers. Whatever you use it needs to be incredibly sharp.

With the neck removed the crop (which should be empty) needs to be separated carefully from the skin. When the vent is cut around and an incision made to the breast bone the abdominal sac is separated from the ribs and skin simply by fingers working around. Once free it is a case of pulling the whole lot out in your hand in one go and the crop and windpipe should draw through with it. Sounds easy, but I still find it difficult.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 11:10:54 am »
it does take me a while though so could never sell chicken for a business  :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS