Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grants for hedge planting  (Read 4868 times)

Luckyand Annie

• Joined Feb 2013
Grants for hedge planting
« on: April 14, 2014, 06:02:54 am »
I am planning to plant a native species hedge which would be about 170m long.  Does anyone have anyone know of any grants that are available in Wales.  Also any suppliers that you would reccomend.

newtoitall

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Herefordshire
Re: Grants for hedge planting
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 07:46:40 am »
It might be worth looking at The Woodland Trust. We recently had a grant for planting trees and if we had been inside the Welsh border instead of less then half a mile on the English side we could have had subsidised hedge packs but I don't know if this only went with the tree planting.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 01:28:06 pm »
I know they gave grants up here in Scotland a few years ago but I think it was for quite a size of land. Not sure if its still happening. Lots of farmers around us did it.

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 11:29:58 pm »
We used British Hardwood Trees for ours. They do very good rates for bulk buys and then two weeks ago we bought another 300 assorted varieties in their sale which cost about £80 - hawthorn, sea buckthorn, dog wood and rosa rugosa. I can thoroughly recommend for quality and price.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 12:44:04 am »
The Woodland trust are currently doing grants if your hedge connects two bits of woodland - I can't remember the subsidy rates but it was better if you plant the hedge yourself, a little lower if you're using a contractor. Worth trying to extend it if you have woodland close!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 07:53:54 am »
It's not the plants that kill you cost wise, it's the doublr fencing if you have stock...if you have enough average you could get into the glastir scheme...they have payment components for various wildlife friendly options inc hedging...but you be applying now for 2015... And it is a lot of paperwork and faf. I'd have a look at the woodland trust packs for farmers if fencing isn't an issue.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS