Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: companion for my buck  (Read 1843 times)

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
companion for my buck
« on: April 13, 2014, 05:52:28 pm »
Hi I have separated my young boer buckling from the does as he was starting to get abit rough with them and they are due to kid in a while and put him in another shed with another boer buckling which I have borrowed as his companion.  I shut them both inside and they are constantly fighting and head butting to such an extent that I have now put a partition down the centre of their shed.

They are both very hot and upset.

Do they have to just fight it out or would they be better if I let them into their paddock.  Is there a chance they will get on.

Thanks for any suggestions.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: companion for my buck
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 06:18:28 pm »
Shutting them in a shed is like shutting two boxers in a ring and telling them to fight it out.They need more space to sort out their problems and back off if they want to

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 07:22:24 pm »
Give them as much room as possible- so outside. For a companion for an adult male, it either has to be an adult male he has grown up with, a castrated male, or a male over a year old MAY accept a younger male kid as a companion. Otherwise they have to have their own areas.

We have managed to persuade my 2 year old boy that he can live next door to the two 1 year old boys, but it took a bit of doing.

Beth

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 07:58:51 pm »
Either, they need penning very tightly for a while, so they can't actually get apart enough butt each other - the theory being that each other's smell rubs off plus they don't have much choice but to put up with each other.......it's done with tups hereabouts.

Or, as other folk say, they need plenty of space, so they can get away from each other.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS