Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Injection  (Read 3452 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Injection
« on: April 13, 2014, 05:26:20 pm »
This afternoon I gave the ponies their tetanus boosters. Granddaughter is keen to be a vet so I had her hold the ponies one at a time. Its an easy enough job and I mentioned to her that she should learn how to inject in the future. she went pale. Now there is no blood but the thought of sticking in a needle was a bit much for her. When I said she could practice with an orange I got such a look. I then told her that is how I was taught at the hospital. turns out she hates needles !

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Injection
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 05:36:23 pm »
are you a vet? if not where did you get the vaccine?

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 08:37:42 pm »
I'd be interested in that answer too.
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 08:39:49 pm »
From my vet,

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 10:34:52 pm »
the vet gave you the vaccine? thanks, I didn't realise that was an option. for horses. our call-out is £50 a pop so worth knowing.   :thumbsup:

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 11:31:19 am »
My vets won't allow me to do their vaccinations, as the passports require a vet practice stamp and MRCVS signature.  They happily leave me antibiotics to inject, but won't sign if they haven't done the job personally and like you it's a £50 callout plus the handling fee and the vaccine costs.  Money for old rope, but what can you do?  Or am I missing a trick here?
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 12:23:19 pm »
I have a bit of sympathy for that.  I HATE needles, even the sight of them turns my stomach. However, I had to inject our sheep last week.

I just got on with it, and it went ok of course, but it's ok for your granddaughter to be a bit reluctant!

That said, when my Sister (now a vet) was still at school, she did as much work experience as she could with local farms, vets and even an abbatoir. That did her no harm at all when she finally applied for University - they could see that she was serious, and it helped her to get a place (difficult, when good school grades are a prerequisite rather than a selection factor).
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 01:21:47 pm »
When I did my stud training part of this was with a vet. There was a lot to learn from injecting mares to bring them into season right through to foaling. I suppose my vets have know me such a long time now but it was they that suggested I do the tetanus myself and yes it does save quite a bit when you have 10 to do. The  label from the drug bottle with the name and batch number goes into the passport and then I sign it. So far never been a problem and I have been doing this a good few years. I have never injected into a vein. I do know how but would much rather leave that to the vet.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 03:34:53 pm »
iv never asked my vet but I think I will next time. we only do them for tetanus now so the passports don't get checked by riding clubs or similar.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 02:14:01 pm »
Only a vet can sign a certificate or passport.  As vaccines are a POM v if the vet happy for u to do then no different to antibiotics but only they can sign it.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 01:16:41 pm »
Maybe a vet can only sign/stamp the passport, but surely there's nothing wrong with you filling in the passport with the date and stick-on vaccine details that you get with the vaccine. The only difference is it hasn't been officially certified.
Surely the important details are that the animal has been vaccinated, and when.
Now is probably not the place to give my opinion of equine passports. But suffice to say that anything can be added to a passport by anyone and an unscrupulous person has only to say they've lost the original and send for a new one and start again. So really it's as much a record for your own use, as anything else.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 03:27:58 pm »
Don't ike giving jabs.  I can do sub cu ok, but IM etc, gives me the heebyjeebies.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS