Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Quail housing  (Read 3194 times)

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Quail housing
« on: April 12, 2014, 08:03:10 pm »
Ok, so OH is constructing me a new pen to go with an existing large run. I was hoping that I could use it to keep some quail in as the run is very secure and quite large. Now the pen he's made is high up with a sheltered area underneath, it will have a small ramp up to sleeping quarters which would be fine for hens but I'm wondering if quail will go up or just huddle below  :thinking:

Can anyone enlighten me?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Quail housing
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 08:09:24 pm »
they will ... feed them upstairs, water downstairs, and show them where the ramp is!

our quail have a chicken house that sounds like yours, never had any problems. :)
Little Blue

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 08:28:37 pm »
That's reassuring thanks  :relief:
Soooo, anyone near Stafford have any for sale??
Happy to swap for duck eggs or pork? Or even straw!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 11:42:33 pm »
Quail are stupid.  Mine have been indoors all winter.  Sun has been shining last few days so I laid a trail of food to the pop hole and opened it - the food is still there!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 10:20:46 am »
We did have one lot that refused to go up a ramp. Have a different pen now. I think they prefer shut in quarters on the ground .... or maybe just mine  ::). Think quail are naturally ground dwelling birds though and not sure they have so much instinct to fly up onto things or go up ramps .... not in the same way that chickens do.

Have you got an inccie. If you don't mind despatching males then hatching maybe an option. Sure then that you have young birds.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 03:08:26 pm »
Quail aren't stupid, they just feel safer in a sheltered, familiar area. They're ground dwellers and like to hide. All of mine sleep in the bottom area though they go up on their little ramps during the day. I went for a shallow second storey about 20cm up just to have extra floor space. Small cardboard boxes are most popular with my lot, they all sleep in them and I just replace them when they get too dirty (there's Amazon House, Nike House...  :D ). In their first year, my quail would fly out of their large cages given half a chance, now the doors can be open for ages and they don't bother going outside.

One tip I would give is this: make sure that wherever the quail can get, you can reach, as they may well lay their eggs in the furthest corner!  ;) 

:wave:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 03:59:10 pm »
what type of quail do you have? different species behave differently. the smaller ones are the floor dwellers im sure, my japs would take flight at any opportunity.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 04:06:57 pm »
jumbos I think, got them from a TAS member. Lovely wee birds, boy and two girls, superb eggs, and my pup is being trained to point by the adult dogs.  Just sight pointing mind you but she'll recognise the scent when we're out and about.

I'm not bothered if they don't want to go outside, but at least with teh hatch open they'll get some fresh air. :excited:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 07:09:23 pm »
is jumbo the same as Texan??

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 07:37:05 pm »
Coturnix - I think. Texans are different, but I don't know much about the different breeds

Found this website
http://coturnixcorneruk.forumotion.com/t1060-jumbo-quail

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS