Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to do with full frames...  (Read 2693 times)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
What to do with full frames...
« on: April 12, 2014, 02:27:13 pm »
My saga started on another thread but I'm now down to one combined hive with one brood box. I took the second brood box off today and have brushed all the bees into the first brood/super. There is a ton of brood in the bottom box and they have some supplies plus brilliant foraging at the moment so I hope all will be well with my remaining colony.

Anyhow, in the box I've removed is a small amount of capped drone brood and lots of food - much of it uncapped. I'm happy to sacrifice the drone brood - the queen is laying some down below anyway. But I don't know what to do with the frames. I know capped honey lasts so I can keep it back until next winter but uncapped won't so how do I clean out the frames? And do I just wait for the drones to come out or do I clean them out in some way too? I don't have enough room to put them into the remaining brood box to be cleaned up - there are nine frames in there with brood and the remaining two are full of food which is their only back up at the moment.

H

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: What to do with full frames...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 08:54:54 pm »
I would have left the second brood box above an empty super, the bee's may have moved the honey down. Then once the drones emerge and honey is moved take the brood box off. Although you do need to visit to let the drones out as they get trapped above a queen excluder if you use them.

It may be too late to save the drone brood depending on how long it has been off the hive, but you could replace the brood box above a couple of supers and let the bee's clear the stores.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 09:22:42 pm »
Some of the food in the brood box will have been from syrup fed in the autumn - that's why I didn't want it moved into the super. That hive also had varroa problems so I'm hoping by sacrificing drone, I might have cleared some varroa too. Is there no other way of clearing out frames except getting the bees to do it? At the moment they're adding to rather than clearing!

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 09:32:59 pm »
If you've got access to an extractor, spin it out. I'd freeze it until you need feed next time.
Then put the sticky frames back for the bees to clean up the scraps.
Drawn comb is precious stuff.

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 09:33:26 pm »
Put a frame above the crown board with a very small opening and the bees will take any stores from it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS