Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: farming/making money from sheep, any suggestions?  (Read 24686 times)

smallflockshearing

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
Re: farming/making money from sheep, any suggestions?
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2014, 09:03:55 pm »
Really appreciated Steve and Tim's input too.  Inspiring examples!
Carefully shearing small flocks throughout the South-West.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2014, 09:25:43 pm »
I'll probably get shot down for this, but on 20 acres you can not really earn enough from sheep and gather a hay crop.

In your shoes I'd keep a few sheep, say 10  and sell any surplus hay and build either kennels or cattery and bred pedigree cats/ dogs.

Much more money in 'pets' than farm livestock.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2014, 09:53:27 pm »
The thing is, what steve describes isn't small holding, it's farming commercially.

With most small holdings, they tend to seek a niche product, from what I've seen anyway.

With farming in its true commercial sense, its all about efficiency and economies of scale.

But there is a real blurry, grey area where the two meet. And sometimes that works and sometimes its a problem, i.e with someone trying to run a large scale operation with a small holding mentality, or someone trying to run a small holding with a commercial approach.

I started off with 15 wilts horn ewes and a ram - I had fully intended to produce on a small scale for farmer's markets etc, my background was in running a small trout farm who had a smokery etc and who made enough to keep the boss and his farm manager (me) in wages. The key was still margin and this was achieved in that case by adding value. I never did explore that option with my sheep in the end, but I don't doubt it could be done, mostly because I like not standing on markets all weekend, but also because I was quickly offered 130ac grazing to occupy my time.

I ran my small flock along the same lines as my commercial one - mostly becauseI was employed at the time and couldn't afford to be messing about, I needed sheep that got on with the job.

You talk a lot of sense steve. The things I was trying to get at. . . . is when looking to make it a profitable business, emotion doesn't really come into it (apart from the obvious positive feeling you get from it going well and being in a line of work you enjoy), which does go a long way.

But as some one wiser than me once said. A bad dog eats just as much as a good one.

And the same goes for sheep.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2014, 10:02:43 pm »
Thanks for posting that Steve. What you're doing is a long way from what we're aiming for, but there's still food for thought there. Much appreciated  :thumbsup: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Mungo24

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2014, 08:00:49 am »
Indeed they do talk a lot of sense imo.  In particular about keeping an eye on costs and having the right sheep to suit your plans.  I live near both  and have been able to visit their sheep and pick their brains.  I have a small flock but work full time and on my rented land there are no buildings, the same principles apply just on a smaller scale.

I have learned to be less sentimental about the sheep and whilst I have my favourites, if they make life difficult (especially at lambing) then they will be culled, not something I relish but am aware it is the best for the flock and me in the long run. 

I also have a local butcher who supplies my village shop with local meat and although he loves his rare breed pigs and chickens he often reminds me that if you are selling meat you need to make sure that it is what your customers want, not necessarily what you think they should have.  Taking this on board with my pigs I have switched from pure rare breeds to rare breed crosses; the pigs still look as my customers like (spotty) but the meat also looks like they expect (not too much fat) and tastes better than the supermarket pork. 

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2014, 02:44:35 pm »
If you need a full time wage put up a pair of Endurance E3201's and then run a pair of dexter cows with Aberdeen angus cross calves at foot and 10 bucket trained Native breed ewes. Money+beef+lamb=Happy!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS