Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mange in goats?  (Read 4456 times)

Kymw90

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Falmouth, Cornwall
  • Nubians are cute!
Mange in goats?
« on: April 12, 2014, 10:41:02 am »
Can goats get mange? Hector is really looking patchy now and the pour on stuff isn't taking affect so it's not lice it has to be something microscopic.

Can I get a over the counter sort of treatment for mange? I am treating 2 goats so something relatively small herd-ish if possible 

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
Re: Mange in goats?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 11:03:47 am »
We had a spate of chorioptic mange on one of our goats last year.  Curiously enough, the others didn't ever have symptoms but I gather that doesn't mean they didn't have it. Our vet suggested 2 doses of an Ivermectin based wormer orally at 3 week intervals. It worked for us

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 11:51:51 am »
They can.

They can also lose hair in patches from mineral deficiencies, adrenal insufficiency (that's often in two symmetrical patches around the kidneys at first) .......

But yes, I'd treat with ivermectin and see how he goes.

Kymw90

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Falmouth, Cornwall
  • Nubians are cute!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 01:49:35 pm »
I take it ivermectin is the treatment for mange so Would a horse wormer with ivermectin be ok? I am already sorting the mineral thing and waiting for delivery. The goats are due worming so I can get it all the same time.

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 03:05:22 pm »
I have a bottle of Eprinex cattle pour on which I used on my goats as a wormer.  I'm in Redruth, so if you want to take some PM me.  I'm trimming feet of a friend's AN billy tomorrow morning but am usually around.  She's a very experienced goatkeeper so i can get her advice as well.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 06:09:54 pm »
We used Eprinex for hair loss round the eyes, it did work very well. It can depend on what of mange it is, my Nubians didn't get any better with Invermectin, but Eprinex did the job.

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 08:43:02 pm »
Yes you need to check which type of mange it is - no point in giving Ivermectin injections if it is heel mange.

I have treated heel mange successfully with Eprinex - and it doesn't necessarily spread to other goats in the herd. Some are more susceptible to it than others.

If you think your male has a mineral deficiency a blood test (probably not cheap, but maybe your best bet) should help in the diagnosis.

Kymw90

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Falmouth, Cornwall
  • Nubians are cute!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 12:15:19 pm »
It would make sense to be a type of mange. I invested in a wildlife camera and it caught two foxes pass through my field. One really big one and one completely bold apart from its head. Sounds silly but can I somehow treat the fox for mange at all to help stop my goat getting it?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 01:35:51 pm »
There are two different types of mange that goats get - chorioptic (on the heel and lower leg) and sarcoptic (all over the body). In order to treat it properly a vet should make the diagnosis -s/e can then also prescribe the required Ivermectin based drug (probably an injection, twice a couple of weeks apart or so).

BUT as your boy seems to have a bit of a chequered history the skin lesions could also be from a mineral/vitamin deficiency - only a vet can have a look at this. If you want to get your boy sorted get him checked out!

And no, other than with the precise use of a gun I don't think you can sort out the mange problem of your local fox population....

Kymw90

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Falmouth, Cornwall
  • Nubians are cute!
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 05:36:10 pm »
Ah shame wish I could do something for the poor thing. If the fox isn't the problem I still feel for it. Anyway I have some friendly helpers coming to give me a hand and bring some Eprinex round to see if that helps as well and going to discuss his possible vitamin deficiency.

Can I say a huge thank you to everyone who has responded to my recent threads. You've all be really nice and informative.
I love my goats and knew they weren't simple but didn't know they were this complicated lol :goat: :goat: :goat:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 10:56:47 pm »
They can be but they are worth it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS