Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: our new additions have no interest in food.  (Read 2521 times)

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Independent Land Rover Specialst
our new additions have no interest in food.
« on: April 12, 2014, 10:05:36 am »
Now in our second year of pigs we picked up our 2 Tamworth/OSB pigs the other day. We collected the from a local petting zoo, the were in a field totally devoid of vegetation.  Now in their new home which is lush with grass, they have no interest in pig pellets at all. They just look at them and continue munching grass. Will they be OK if they just eat grass ???? Makes them cheap to raise I know !

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: our new additions have no interest in food.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 10:53:57 am »
Hi
they'll be fine, like all new additions they're just taking time to settle in and the lush grass is just like us been let loose in the pick & mix ad lib, keep trying them with nuts, leave them in a trough or a trug rather than on the ground for a few hours if they've not been touched take them away and try later. You may find they'll have runny bums from all the lush grass but should soon settle down before long they'll be scoffing pig nuts. It may be worth checking what they were fed on at the petting zoo and mixing some of that in with your preferred brand to assist the changeover.They'll soon settle into your feeding regime but for the time been they're Yahoo  :excited:grass happy. ;D
HTh
mandy :pig:

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 04:58:20 pm »
Ditto everything Mandy has said  :thumbsup:
We always give a bag of our pigs' existing feed away with them when they go to new owners/premises - it means their systems don't have a sudden change of feed.
Give them a couple of days to get used to you and their surroundings and I'm sure they'll come looking for pig nuts  ;) Tempting though it might be to leave them to find their own food - they'll grow far better with pig nuts  ;)

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 06:53:24 pm »
just ditto from me as well !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Independent Land Rover Specialst
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 09:58:34 pm »
Thanks to you all. Has put my mind at rest, they certainly look very happy in their new home.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 12:01:31 am »
They were probably just over-awed by having all that grass to eat. As someone said earlier, don't be surprised if they scour a bit. That aside, though, lucky pigs!
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 07:18:31 am »
There is nothing so pleasant to watch as pigs :pig: on new grass as they look so contented. They will come back to your feed once they have dung it all up, so I wouldn't be too concern at this point. Its just a case of making it available if they want it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS