Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Holiday home advice please  (Read 7732 times)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Holiday home advice please
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2014, 06:14:51 pm »
If you are not there most of the day then I think you may have to put some padlocks about.. at least then if they climb into any pens and get hurt you cannot be blamed.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2014, 10:07:16 pm »
If you are not there most of the day then I think you may have to put some padlocks about..

We tried that but all we got was complaints  :roflanim: oops padlocks on animal enclosures not the guests front doors  :thinking: oops  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 06:48:14 pm »
 :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2014, 07:01:05 pm »
That reminds me, I must sort out the insurance.....
J xxxxx

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2014, 07:12:04 pm »
Been letting our cottage for 10 years.  Don't get white or ivory towels - they disappear!  Turquoise, purple and mustard don't. Don't get nice toothmugs - they disappear!  Cheap plastic ones don't.   I put a clause in the Terms & Conditions they have to sign when booking, stating that we have the right to terminate the holiday let immediately should we have any concerns regarding the welfare of farm livestock.  Not had to use it so far but I don't let any guests around the sheds or pigsties.  Even then, I once found a Mum watching her toddler attempting to stroke a boar - at mouth level!  I have a map of the farm on a noticeboard above the kitchen sink showing exactly where they may go, along with a list of rules "which we hope will help to make your holiday enjoyable".  These include Shutting Gates (although all the gates leading on to the lane are padlocked, just in case) and anyone who is or may be pregnant not approaching pregnant sheep.  I always offer to show guests around the farm.  Just like most folks, some are very pleasant and some you're very glad to see the back of.  And never, ever, underestimate the amount of time it can take to clear up the mess left by 4 people who've been out for most of the week - our pigsties are a lot, LOT, cleaner than some people's houses, I'd guess.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2014, 08:09:47 pm »
Towels seem to be a real issue (and yes just bought Ivory ones!)   ... Anyone tried Writing Name on them to deter theft?    If it is the white / ivory ones which go it obviously isn't accidental!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 10:03:03 pm »
If towels are such an issue then stop providing them!  Most people who book a self catering holiday expect to take their own towels, or make an extra charge for a towel pack.
As for the nervous sheep, they will take themselves off if disturbed, if you want a couple of petting sheep then get a couple of Ryeland wethers, they love attention. The chickens will cope, if they don't then get some that do.  If you are charging several hundred pounds for a week in the country then certain compromises have to be considered if you want the income.  And don't forget that the more you charge the more people expect for their money.

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 07:07:07 am »
Hi

We are opening 2 holiday cottages this July (builders allowing), we have a fenced dog walk area round the outside of a field, which also protects the trees around the border from been eaten and we have animals specifically bought for petting, miniature sheep, pygmy goat and chickens (others to follow), and a corner of the field for them to go in among the ones i select  to be fed with food i will sell them. The field with the animals in can be seen easily from the house and access is via 2 gates. Im hoping that will be sufficient.

Its annoying that people pinch things,  do you think people would mind hiring the towels or maybe a returnable deposit and i think ill get those lamps hard wired in.

Soo hoping its going to be a pleasant experience on a whole.

K

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2014, 08:30:52 am »
If you go with one of the big letting companies you'll have to supply towels, customers are happy to pay a deposit, though that means you need to be there to check them out.

We recently heard of a cottage taking a damage deposit then when the guests where due to leave said they will check the cottage after they have gone then send them a cheque within 7 days.  :thinking:

Personal opinion only 'that's unacceptable, I would expect confirmation as we are leaving that it was ok, otherwise no come back for the guests'
anyways the guests took the tv and left a note saying when we get our deposit back we will send you the receipt for your TV so that you can retrieve your TV from cash generator.

Slight problem in that the cottage was rented out same day
I think the guests did the right thing, there was no mention prior to holiday that you wouldn't get your deposit back for more than a week, we got this first hand as the cottage owners asked if they could borrow a TV

:roflanim: :roflanim:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2014, 03:49:26 pm »
we were going to rent a holiday cottage last year but they wanted £150 damage deposit. with 4 kids I thought the risk was too high so we didn't book it.

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2014, 07:37:50 pm »
We have had a few holidays where we have paid house keepers deposit, normally £25 per person.  Refundable within 7 days of holiday end.  Never had a problem with it.  We also do £50 house keepers deposit for our caravan and have never had a problem with it.  We have always found the caravan to be clean and tidy after guest departure.  I think it is one of those personal preference things.  It works for me and my caravan and I have always been happy to pay it.  Most of these are done on a scale of damage. As shygirl says if you don't want to pay you don't pay and go there, but if folk want to pay the housekeepers deposit they will. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS