Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tags for Goats  (Read 6285 times)

petectid

• Joined Dec 2012
Tags for Goats
« on: April 10, 2014, 10:44:12 am »
I have two kid Goats born this February and I intend to tag them soon as we need t sell them.  For my sheep I use Allflex Bubblegum tags, could I use the same tags for my Goats?

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: Tags for Goats
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 11:09:45 am »
As long as they're a suitable size for their ears.
Goats have the same tagging requirements but it doesn't have to be EID if you don't want but can be if that's what you've got.
Don't put them in too soon goat kids are expert at catching them and ripping them out.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 02:19:22 pm »
Presumably, you have different herd/flock numbers for your sheep as you do for your goats? At least, I do!
But you can definitely use the same style and only need one set of pliers.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 04:17:31 pm »
Presumably, you have different herd/flock numbers for your sheep as you do for your goats? At least, I do!
But you can definitely use the same style and only need one set of pliers.

No goats and sheep are lumped in the same number under EU rules, although there seem to be people out there that have different numbers. I only have one number for both sheep and goats.

It shouldn't be, but that's rules...

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 05:17:57 pm »
I have the same number for sheep, goats and cows! Just the pigs that are different.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 10:12:51 pm »
Well, you've all made me nervous so I went out and checked the paperwork - definitely got two different numbers. I've had the goats for a couple of years and just got our first sheep in a few weeks ago so have a brand new number for them. We're in England - don't know if that's relevant.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 08:11:49 am »
Is it because your goats have the herd number from where they were born Ben?   ours differ only the babies born here have our flock/herd number (I think!)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

petectid

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 09:09:33 am »
I have a single herd number for sheep and goats the register refers to both sheep and goats under the holding details section.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 09:12:30 am »
I have a single herd number for sheep and goats the register refers to both sheep and goats under the holding details section.

That's what it should be... BUT some people get two different numbers. Officialdom at DEFRA works in mysterious ways...

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 10:41:41 am »
I'm going to put it down to DEFRA moving in mysterious ways - although it would be cheaper to only keep one set of tags....

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 11:37:29 am »
The only thing I'd say about bubble tags for goats is - cut the loop, once they're in.

Both my pygmies came with bubble tags and they've both torn them out, putting a nasty gash in their ear in the process. Whereas I use Rototags on my own goats and they have stayed put.

Kymw90

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Falmouth, Cornwall
  • Nubians are cute!
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 04:23:10 pm »
I'm new here  :wave: I got my goat a year ago  :goat:Hex :goat: and he never had a tag. I then discovered I needed a holding number so got that but again he has no tag on his ear. However he has a hole where a tag once went. What do I do about this??? Can I find out his previous number some how? Could he have been stolen? Its not been ripped out as the hole is clean and the ear intact. Do I tag him again and if so where can I as its one goat not a herd.

Also how do I and should I then register the goats to my holding number. I got as far as the number and that's it. Eva has a tag who is my 2nd goat.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 04:37:56 pm »
He will need a tag with your flock number if you don't know the original number. It will be a red replacement one. You can usually order a strip of 10 from most tag makers. You can order them online or check with your local ag merchant. You then need to record the replacement tag number in your holding register.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 08:04:08 pm »
But before you can get your red tags, you need to phone Animal health (or whoever gives out herd/flock numbers In England - I am in Scotland)  and get your won flock number.

Whoever sold the goats to you should have told you about registration etc - if you can get back to the seller you may be able to find out your boy's number. However that may be a lot of hassle, easier just to get a red replacement tag. As he is non-breeding it should all be quite easy.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 05:42:59 pm »
Hi Kym
did both goats come from the same place?
didn't he/they have a movement licence? that would have previous owners details, and the herd number.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS