Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Washing machine recommendations please  (Read 9304 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Washing machine recommendations please
« on: April 09, 2014, 05:15:26 pm »
Mine is on it's last legs.
What's a good buy?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Washing machine recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 05:32:37 pm »
Miele every time. Might cost more but worth it IMHO

or if you want to do some research try this

http://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/washing-machines-category/

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 06:17:43 pm »
we have a good extended warranty for ours, thank god, as the only thing that hasn't been replaced is the outer shell. it was breaking down every month for years but touch wood its ok atm. pennies well spent with 4 kids, dogs, cats and ponies  ::) ::)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 06:19:04 pm »
I'd second Miele
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 06:26:21 pm »
beware miele will phone for monthly for about 2 years if you get a quote from them.  ::)
we nearly got one for the horse rugs, very pricey, i think it was about £4k for what we wanted  :relief:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 06:28:08 pm »
miele, or the german made bosch's (they now make some in spain and they suck)

but long term value miele every time

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 06:35:16 pm »
Look up ISE.
We'd never heard of it, expensive but comes with ten year warranty, life expectancy of 20years and has parts that are way cheaper than Miele and other brand leaders as the company policy is to make quality that can be fixed rather than throw away culture.
  My husband also liked that it uses the bearing from a Volvo lorry! I like that it works and isn't loud.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 08:12:11 pm »
Come on sally….whats wrong with the stream… a good hand wash beats any machine  :-J ;D and think of all that electric your saving  ;D

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 08:15:02 pm »
Bosch WAQ28461GB Currently £429 with £50 CashBack from ao.com. It was a which? Best Buy when I got it 2 years ago
It's rated A+++ and estimated cost of running a full 8kg cotton wash 4 times a week for a year were £31 in June 2012. It's supposed to have a noisy spin but I think it's fine. Just make sure whoever connects it reads the instructions - I left OH to it and he didn't bother so hadn't removed the safety bolts they put in to protect the drum during transportation (which every new machine has, that I have connected in the last 40 years !). I was then blamed for it pogo-ing round the floor on its first wash. However Bosch engineering withstood even that. Mind you if it hadn't he would have been in the spare room and saving his beer money for a replacement. I was sooo angry I had to leave the room or permanently damage something. So far it has moved house and been the best machine I have ever had.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 08:28:38 pm »
Bosch.   ... got 2 here .... though mine is playing up ...... has done at least one wash everyday for the last 6+ years .... but think it's suffering from the supply of metal it gets from Ian's pockets!

Can replace Bosch once or twice for price of the M word!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 08:36:58 pm »
Bosch too. I have a Classixx. Not only has it taken abuse for years, but when I had to finally replace the pump (it was, unaccountably, upset at being packed full of grit from washing dog mats every week), I was able to do it myself with a video online - the machine is well designed and the job was very straightforward.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 07:50:45 am »
Another vote for Bosch from me - I have the same model as jaykay.  It's an excellent machine.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 07:53:02 am »
Another for Bosch  :thumbsup:

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 08:15:11 am »
I believe that Bosch, Siemens and Neff are all part of the same company.

We bought a Siemens dishwasher for the reasons outlined above (way cheaper than a Miele). However, went for the Miele washing machine as got it on offer (Leekes in Crosshands - Bionic) when there was also an offer on for the free extended guarantee - there was little price difference then to the Bosch/Siemens.

P.S. Also worth looking in at Jones Electrical near Pontargothi (literally up the road from me) for Siemens, they are old fashioned company but they will do their best to match online shops if you ask them and they will deliver when they say they will etc.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 09:12:34 am »
Thanks everyone. Lots of food for thought here. I notice no one mentions Hoover. My current machine is a Hoover. I have had it for nearly 14 years.

Henchard, I know where Jones is and also Leekes. I will have a look at both places.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS