Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Celeriac question  (Read 3397 times)

caracroft

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Essex
  • 3 Saddlebacks and 12 Copper Black Chickens
    • Caras Croft Blog
Celeriac question
« on: April 08, 2014, 09:39:12 pm »
 Hi 

I grow all my veg in my polytunnel and tried celeriac for the first time last year.  It took really well and produced healthy plants with a  lot of leaf - The roots hadnt really grown when it came to the overwintering period. so I cut back a lot of the outside leaves (found this advice in my polytunnel book) and they overwintered really well with slow healthy growth of leaves still in the center. 

As things started warming up the roots begain to swell, yippee!!  But I havent paid enough attention - been too busy sowing seeds  ::), and I just noticed today that the stems are really really thick and elongated - i take it this means they are bolting - but will the root still be edible  :fc: or shall I just relegate them to the compost heap   :(- any advice would be great!!  :)

Thank you
Cara  :wave:

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
Re: Celeriac question
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 12:20:02 pm »
Best bet is to get one out and try it sooner rather than later. If the flesh is still firm and not full of gaps/space (you'll know what I mean when you cut it open) it will be okay, though it might be a little woody at this stage. Celeriac can be difficult to get good crops out of as it requires lots of water and food at the right time. Don't give up on growing it again though, it's well worth the effort and when you get it right and can harvest lovely vegetables in the depths of winter it's a great feeling.

There was a really interesting article in the RHS magazine not so long back, very informative. I can dig it out and send you a copy if you would like. If I remember correctly 'Prinz' was one of the best varieties to grow. They did extensive trials then published the results - have a look at this link in the meantime...
http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Grow-Your-Own/Veg-A-to-Z/Celeriac

I havent paid enough attention - been too busy sowing seeds
Glad to hear it's not just me at this time of year - I've heard of 'trigger happy', but I guess there's such a thing as 'seed-sowing happy' as well...  :D

caracroft

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Essex
    • Caras Croft Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 08:41:36 pm »
Thanks for your reply, i am definitely "seed sowing happy"  :roflanim:

I pulled them up today and sadly they weren't edible looking - even though the leaves and outside of them looked so good!  ::)  Chickens loved the leaves though.

I have new seedlings already growing for this year, will have to keep an eye on them more.

Thanks again    :thumbsup: 

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 02:12:57 pm »
No worries Cara, glad to pass on what little knowledge I have. Your post was timely actually - reminded me I hadn't put any in yet!! (We're a bit behind thanks to all the soggy weather this winter.) Celeriac don't like being disturbed, though equally better brought on in modules/pots to start with (see , they even start off awkward!). Just disturb the roots as little as possible when you transplant them. Try creating a shallow dip in the soil when you transplant them to act as a water sink when feeding/watering - it helps somewhat. If you can get the feed/water routine right they should do great in a polytunnel.

I can think of worse things than being seed sowing happy, especially as there's a 'happy' in there  ;)

I'd love to hear how you get on with the celeriac again if you remember come harvest time - I've only ever grown them outdoors, which is not ideal (though it does work), and at this rate won't have the planned polytunnel in place come time to put them in the ground this season...

Good luck - I'm off to plant more seeds... Is there such a thing as too many...?!?  :innocent:

caracroft

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Essex
    • Caras Croft Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 08:42:41 pm »

I can think of worse things than being seed sowing happy, especially as there's a 'happy' in there  ;)

Good luck - I'm off to plant more seeds... Is there such a thing as too many...?!?  :innocent:

:roflanim: - I hope not or I need to be locked up!! lol

Thanks for the tip regarding the watering i used this tip on my courgettes and Squash last year and it seemed to work a treat - didnt know celeriac was as thirsty.

Noticed you live in wales - I went there for the first time 4 weeks ago to Llandewi Velfrey to buy a puppy.  Really wish we had been able to stay longer.

Will try to remember to keep you posted later in the year

Take care
Cara

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 12:29:19 pm »
You can use the leaves for cooking, too - we always used to include some in soups, as well as the actual celeriac.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS