Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Leek Chutney  (Read 8667 times)

pickleandpreserve

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • pickleandpreserve
Leek Chutney
« on: October 02, 2009, 01:48:39 pm »
Has anyone ever made leek chutney? I was wondering if this was possible and can't find a recipe anywhere. Maybe it's because it doesn't make a nice chutney, although I can't see why it would be that different from onion marmalade.

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: Leek Chutney
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 02:31:00 pm »
Haven't made any but found these:
Leek Chutney
1 leek, finely sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp brown sugar
50ml/2fl oz balsamic vinegar

Cook the finely shredded leeks in olive oil for a few minutes, then add the balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Cook for five minutes on a medium-low heat.

Leek and Sultana Chutney
25g/1oz unsalted butter
˝ leek, the white chopped
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 orange, juice and zest
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
150g/5˝oz sultanas

To make the chutney, melt the butter in a frying pan. Add the leek and soften for 2 minutes. Add the brown sugar and allow it to melt and caramelise.
 Add the orange juice, zest, white wine vinegar and sultanas. Reduce to a thick chutney consistency.

Try google. Let us know how you get on and how tasty it is.
Helen

pickleandpreserve

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • pickleandpreserve
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 02:43:37 pm »
Hi Helen

Thanks for the suggestions, I'd seen one of the recipes but had discounted it as it seems to be more like relish that needs to be used straight away, rather than something you can store.
I'll try one of them out and let you know how it turns out.

pickleandpreserve

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • pickleandpreserve
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 06:31:21 pm »
Just an update.
I was making some onion marmalade last week and thought I'd try a similar recipe with leeks.

My conclusion is that it tastes good (I added some rosemary in as well), but has a slightly odd texture, a bit squeaky and stringy if you know what I mean.

Someone on another forum pointed out that leeks keep so well in the ground over winter that it's not necessary to preserve them in a chutney, which is probably the underlying reason why I couldn't find a recipe in the first place.

Blog post with some pictures and recipe here http://www.pickleandpreserve.co.uk/index.php/blog/leek-marmalade.html if you're interested.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 07:05:50 pm »
 :)Hello Not what you have asked but a thought Many years ago I lived down Salisbury way and was into home made wine.A noted chap in that world was called H E Bravery and I became quite friendly with him and he offered me some excellent advice."If you cannot find a recipe for it don't do it"Explaining further he said how many recipes have you seen for tulip or Daffi's or snowdrops none they are horrid and can make you quite ill Same with honeysuckle its poisonous.I have assumed this is good for any thing I cannot find a recipe for over the years and it saves disappointment in the finished product and ages in time as well as the sugar.George
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS