Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Water for ducklings  (Read 1845 times)

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
Water for ducklings
« on: April 08, 2014, 08:21:42 am »
 :wave:I'm fairly new to hatching duck eggs in my incy, and wondered at what age do ducklings need water apart from drinking. I am aware of their lack of waterproofing at the beginning, so what do you all do? Many thanks.

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
Re: Water for ducklings
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 08:27:51 am »
We hatched some last year and put in a shallow tray of water for them to play in and they loved it.  They get a bit damp but soon dry off under the lamp.  As they got older the depth increased but if they can get in and out without help they were fine.  They dont waterproof as quickly as they would with a mother duck but get there in the end.  Messy little things though.  With a duck we put in shallow trays for them and as long as they can get out ok the water got deeper as they grew.  They drown easily if the water is too deep and they cant get out.  Good luck.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 10:16:10 pm »
I let mine have a swim in the sink from time to time when they're little - and then they can get back under the brooder to dry out. My first batch this year is now two weeks old and I've got a run outside for them where I put them when it is warm and sunny and I need to clean them out - then I use a paint roller tray with water in for them to dabble in (they love it). They'll not get free access to deep water until they're feathered and outside permanently (and even then you have to watch them - I've had a couple get stuck in deep water before).

Inside they make a heck of a mess even with a standard drinker (my six can empty their 1l drinker two or three times a day) so I don't let them have open water - that way lies trouble.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 02:23:02 pm »
supervised swims here only until feathers have grown. In bowls and paddling pools I make sure their legs are long enough so they can get out by themselves. When tiny they get stones in their bosl they can hop onto.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS