Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: when you started  (Read 7392 times)

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
when you started
« on: April 07, 2014, 09:41:32 pm »
 ;D this one should get some great answers  ;D

OK … most of you on here, it would have started as the dream…..

how did you 1st manage….
now i have kept the chooks and ducks for years , but the 4 legged things are going to be a totally new game to me,
you can ask 10 people one question and get 10 different answers  :roflanim:

i have done research research research ….and i know , somewhere down the line i will cock up ..

how did you get on in the beginning

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: when you started
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 09:46:14 pm »
Its easy, you just learn by your mistakes.   :raining:

I was brought up on a smallholding, worked on the farm next door from the age of 13,  eventually got my own smallholding in 2007, but still make mistakes.  It so different when you are the one making descions.  When i moved here it was about the love of out doors, having space for the tractors that were my dads, and giving my kids the chance to grow up in the environment i did.

7 years on i have begun to seriously realise i have an assett i could make money out of, so far ive just enjoyed being here , spent a lot of time putting right 20 years of neglect, ive made hay and got it wrong, planted hedges and got it wrong, grown potatoes and got it wrong, but ive had loads of fun and this year have been spending a lot of time trying to prioritise whats important to me.  We have sheds full of stuff we never use, its time for a sell up and buy some things which make life easier with th ejobs we find ourselves doing all the time. 

Trying to come up with ways of making money is hard. Farmers do everything better with economies of scale ans subsidies to help them.  So much smallholder stuff is time consuming , but we both work full time,  so how do you maximise on that great assett of space which we have and the average person doesnt ?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 09:59:21 pm by stufe35 »

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 10:14:57 pm »
great answer stu……

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 11:29:28 pm »
I started off sharing two goats with a 'friend' who lost interest after two months when the one in milk developed mastitis and told me I had to take 'my' goat out of her garden (then sold 'her' goat). My OH said I could have just the one (after saying he didn't mind me having goats so long as they weren't in our garden. I then had to find out something about mastitis so rang the local goatkeepers club. I was put in touch with a former goatkeeper who lived near me and who was a great help. She gave me a couple of books and I learned what I could from them but mostly from doing it.

I now have two goats - soon to be three or more - and still am learning ten years later.

The growing of vegetables, on the other hand, is in my blood. I am from a long line of gardeners and descended from market gardeners.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 12:24:19 am »
I WWOOFed for a year.  Learned loads, not least about myself and what really matters to me.

http://www.wwoof.org.uk
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 06:18:01 am »
We started with a big veggie plot and tried to grow all we could. At the end of the year I calculated that I had earned 20p an hour. So that was never going to be a business. Started with chickens and eventually made a tiny profit on eggs, probably equating to the same hourly rate- 20p. Got some sheep to save cutting the grass and using all that fuel and to fill the freezer. They gave us a few problems but we were doing better. Still other stuff to try, but we had to retire to find the time first- now we have to find the property to do it on.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 07:44:58 am »
When we moved here we had already kept chickens. Like you, it was the 4-legged's that were to be our challenge. i say 'our' but to be totally honest with you, my husband has no interest at all in livestock. In fact he can't stand anything to do with them, that said he will help out with manual things such as fencing repairs and shifting dead animals for me .
I learnt from mistakes, awful mistakes in the first instance. We lost 2 goats partly due to me (ignorantly) buying in unvaccinated, never wormed goats and then not knowing how to treat their illnesses and neither did the vet.
Joining a local goat society rectified these issues and monthly meetings taught me so much. The goats we have now are very happy and healthy.

Next we allowed others to graze their sheep on our land. It doesn't work unless you have strict rules, i found!!  Both times sheep were hit by fly strike and the owners upon being phoned, said "we'll be there in a bit" - 2 days later...still no show so i took matters in to my own hands only to hear that they didnt' want chemical intervention (tough!)   so after that we bought in our own flock...

I find it hard to learn from books to be honest, the most insight and helpful advice I've found has been on here. Most people are very helpful and non-judgemental. 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 08:20:40 am »
We started very slowly. We knew we wanted sheep and chickens so we started with five ewes and three chickens. Got all the fencing done first. We've learned as we have gone along. There have been a few casualties but not many. Once we get one thing under our belts then the next stage manifests itself.... Then we save  up for the next thing which gives us time to refine I and research our ideas.... And so it goes in indefinitely.

Fortunately we are not in a position to have to make any money out of the venture. It's all purely creative fun and a great way to spend/waste money!!
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 08:37:20 am »
We've only been here for 2 years and it has been a steep learning curve. Apart from a dog and cat all animals were new to us.
We had (and lost due to a fox) 6 chickens and 2 geese. We now have 5 chickens, 5 ducks, 6 sheep, including a ram and so far 4 lambs with 2 more ewes in waiting. We have also had a couple of sets of weaners raised for the freezer.

As stufe has said you learn by your mistakes. Have the vet on speed dial  ;D  And make friends with the local farmers. Buy a couple of good books and lots of questions to this forum.

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 08:41:36 am »
As a child worked on a caravan site with a farm attached, they bought me a brand new tiny Kubota when I was 9 in exchange for me emptying the bins, I worked there part time until 18, so unloaded hay, slept in the barn at lambing time, bottle fed lambs dipped them, sheared them, I pulled a calf out of a cow. At about 25 I had 2 chickens & veg plot in my garden, then I went on a chicken husbandry course, we learnt about farming chickens and economics of farming (I was hooked), I then went on a pig husbandry course on a farm, the old man there was exceptional in my last week (16 week part time), he became very ill, I stayed full time ish as he had no staff on the pig farm, just 1 in the dairy unit, then he ended up in hospital, never to return his wife asked if I would run the pig unit until it was sold, I agreed 450 pigs, full breeding unit, sow shed & 30 fattening pens 6 months on and all had gone, I then worked 1 day a week on another pig farm for my own interest to see an alternative way how it was done, since then just chooks & veg, I'd love to be a full time farmer/smallholder but it will only ever be part time for me. Last year I helped out looking after someone else's lambs.
The way I see it is we would never get any money out of it because we would want to re invest any money into more kit, stock, land etc therefore never feeling any better off.
We spent several years 1996 - 2010 applying for county council farm tenancies, I think that's the only way any one can actually make a profit. we also explored your route of buying just land then applying chapter 7 for an AOC unit.

John/Helen don't buy that other land, buy some of this by me then we can (if you wanted to) run it together, my knowledge, your ideas, my gate sales pitch, my stock of equipment hens etc. or we could just rent half off you.
 :thumbsup:

The bit about learning from your mistakes, well we have never made any mistakes  :thinking: sometimes things don't quite go as they are intended   :innocent: (mistake)  :roflanim:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 09:03:04 am »
The bit about learning from your mistakes, well we have never made any mistakes  :thinking: sometimes things don't quite go as they are intended   :innocent: (mistake)  :roflanim:
:roflanim: :roflanim:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 09:08:15 am »
Day 1- Feb 10th 2010- a 4 1/2 acre field of docks with little adequate fencing and dreams of 2 donkeys, a tractor and a Dexter cow.
Day 2- Feb 11th 2010- sister in law arrives at 6 in the morning with 2 chickens in a cardboard box. nowhere to keep them so stick them in the garage.

Today- 8th April 2014- still no donkeys, no tractor and no Dexter BUT- 19 sheep, 10 chickens, a huge veg patch and an ex shop freezer bulging with lamb and pork.
Along the way we've learnt by reading, by making mistakes ( not too many as they need us to get it right), a growing love of the palett and all you can make from it and TAS.
We've had goats (didn't like goats!), pigs, (loved pigs and we'll be having them again), hatched our own chickens , lived through 3 lambings and realised that with our own full time jobs too there is no time for anything else in life. today we feel more confident and assured in the day to day job of looking after our stock, tho there is always something new to challenge you. still HOPELESS and I do mean hopeless at making money from it. Almost a shepherd but def not a shopkeeper- there's always next year

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 09:12:21 am »
I grew up in the town but our garden backed onto a nature reserve. Dreamed my time away watching Great Crested Grebes in their courtship dances, foxes playing on the frozen lake, birdwatching and the like. Dad trained/ trialled/ showed gundogs and so spent a lot of time on farms/ estates and spent a lot of time with farmers/ gamekeepers and country folk. Dad always kept chickens, ducks and grew veg.

When we married we were lucky enough to have a large garden and grew veg and kept hens. The teacher at my sons primary school told me that some of the children had told her that we lived on a farm! They thought it was great coming to play and picking salad and collecting eggs for their tea.

When OH got a job working mainly from home we 'headed to the hills'. About 5 years ago now. We arrived here with 2 dogs, cat, house rabbit, goldfish, stick insects and chickens and 2 children. What a journey! Our intention was just to be in the countryside that we love and carry on doing pretty much what we already were and for the children to grow up in a beautiful place.

Soon realised that we needed to think about keeping the grass down on our couple of acres   .....  hence sheep. Became friends with our closest farmer because of our shared love of dogs .... my gundogs and his collies. He grazed our land for a while and we were responsible for keeping an eye on the flock and calling him if we spotted anything ..... did catch him peeping over the hedge and checking them though! He would then deal with any problems with us watching. Also shouted us if he was drenching, shearing, docking, bottling lambs and so on so that we could watch and learn. He has been our biggest help with sheep keeping which was new to us. Also read lots, including on this forum  ;D. Much of the rest we were already doing. Of course we have more hens now and quail.

Other neighbours have taught me to make jam, chutney, elderberry cordial and so on.

For us our farming/ smallholding neighbours have helped no end. Many are quite elderly now and love passing on their knowledge and skills. Farmer is teaching my son to catch moles at the moment for example. Think it's really good to try and become part of the rural community ..... local knowledge and support.

So far  :fc: not too many mistakes. Our sheep on the whole seem fairly hardy and maybe that has helped. With hindsight we would have bought a smaller house and more land and more outbuildings. That was our mistake.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 09:18:36 am »
I grew up in a farming community but not a farming family, tho my brother went to be an agri contractor after years helping out on local farms driving tractors etc.  We had a neighbour's lambs in the paddock in spring but no responsibility for them, we had neighbour's ponies tethered on the lawn or using the outbuilding and I got to knowing a bit about them through hanging out with their kids and learning to ride in that very old way, halter, leadrope and that's it, flat out gallop up the stubble ;) We picked tatties for pocket money, stacked bales to be seen as grown up and strong, mucked out to be around the hunters and eventers.. Then Dad died and we moved to town and my life ended for years.

Then I started riding again, got a pony on loan at a DIY livery/showing/driving yard and learned a lot by osmosis and trial/error.  Worked with showing and breeding and driving folk for years, bred my own, ended up with a small stud of showing/breeding ponies and had to buy land as it was cheaper than paying the rental/livery and travel bills.  Then trial and error again for years, volunteered with other breeders etc to keep sources of ready info. 

Got this place after selling up the field I had, and it had an orchard and a large garden so I started growing more seriously than I had in years tho I pottered about occasionally in a back garden of a rented cottage.  My mum had an orchard and veg garden back at home before dad died so I'd picked gooseberries and apples and watched her dig (helped carry worms to improve the soil!) and helped her stir marmalade and chutney, watched her make rag rugs and patchwork quilts and crochet blankets and knit wee jumpers for orphans (she did that right up to her death).  Had no outbuildings so got local farmer's son to build a pole barn and then someone else to put on an extension and have been living with the learning from those experiments ever since!  Had a friend married to a fencer so he did a few bits for me and I saw the basics but lacked tools and strength, had local agri contractors in and learned who did a good job, who charged and who overcharged, who was likely to turn up when booked..

Got a few veg beds dug and have had mixed success since, one year mounds of courgettes, nothing the following two, one year great beetroots, then nothing but leaves full of holes, seem to do well with runner beans but no longer like them..  Joined the orchard group to learn about the trees and fruit sales and get an outlet.  Bought 4 POL pullets from one of the trusted farmer's sons, started small, then took on more and more again, still learning there too.  Kept considering sheep and went to visit a few folk that had them, but never made the plunge.  Ditto cattle but I had both sheep and cattle in as grazing lodgers at the old field in return for use of stubbles and winter grazing up the hill so I got to know the routines, just not the skills ::)  I used to date a falconer so know enough about manning and flying birds to have a go but if I were going to buy one (I'm not) then I'd still have it all to do over and still get wrong.  I've had hamsters and kept/bred tropical fish with greater and mostly lesser success, once had a guinea pig and a rabbit but gave them to a friend, handled snakes, seen zoo animals in the wild and walked around llamas and alpacas in Peru and in Scotland!  In fact I've gone everywhere I could to find more species of animal, bird and plant/tree life to not know about ;)

I reckon you never finish learning, like you never finish the maintenance, you just take custody of land for a while and do what you can with it, then let someone else sort out what they consider your mess and make their own instead ;)   As far as I can see it never makes money, not in my hands anyway, but I've no greater set of memories than my travels and my view from the top field.  no money, no health, no regrets..

Every year I struggle more and know I need to give up and move to a smaller land free facility rich house, a couple months on and I'm planning what to breed, what to grow, where to change, what to fix and what else I could get up to here..  I wish I was more sensible, sometimes, but with a newborn foal in the field today isn't one of those days ;)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 09:49:45 am »
Grew up in the countryside with chickens, ducks, ponies and helped out with the local sheep and occasional cow. Moved away to university and missed it all for a few years. I have had a dream of self sufficiency from as far back as I can remember. I now live in the country side, with chickens and couple of unplanned geese. There are plans for four leggeds but have to wait another few months. We have the fields waiting, but am having a baby first, I'm not very mobile just now, but hopefully will improve by summer!
So far my mistakes have been being too soft, letting the cockerels grow up too long, then realising I've wasted money on food for them and there's still no meat of them, which is a waste.
Or culling nice looking surpluses cocks, then having people come asking if I have a decent breeding cock they could buy!
Didn't really plan breeds and pens, They're big enough, but needed more!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS