Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ay up from the Derbyshire Dales  (Read 5843 times)

berylthedog

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Up the hill, under an old ash tree, Derbyshire
Ay up from the Derbyshire Dales
« on: April 07, 2014, 11:37:43 am »
Hello

I'm Jake - me and my better half, Helen, have recently moved to a friend's farm near Wirksworth and are now the proud owners of 5 purebred Gotland ewes which are due to lamb in May, 2 Gotland/Teeswater cross ewes and 3 hybrid hens which have just come into lay.  Our black lab, Beryl, keeps us all in order.  I've wanted to keep sheep and pigs for a long time and we have the opportunity to develop, over the next few years, a flock of 30ish permanent ewes which we'll keep for fleece, pelts, lambs and hogget. I'm hoping to get a couple of breeding sows next year (possibly Mangalitzas?) once the sheep have settled in and we know a bit more what we're about.
Helen and a couple of friends spin and felt so will be using some of the fleece but we hope to also sell some cleaned fleece and I do charcuterie (curing, smoking and airdrying meat) so hopefully we can add value to our produce ourselves. In between all of this, Helen works full time as a teacher with kids who've been kicked out of school and I do bits and bobs of gardening, woodland management, coppicing and charcoal burning - yes, we like to keep busy!
We got our sheep from the very lovely Amanda at Pedwardine Gotlands (who has been wonderful from start to finish - highly recommended!) and financed them by crowdfunding lamb futures amongst friends and family. I'm now in the process of making, begging, borrowing and threatening to steal the kit I need. I've built a small (5x4m) shelter/lambing shed with a handling pen which looks like some sort of medieval stockade but should do the job until we can build something better.
That's about it for now - I'll be on plenty for advice and reassurance! Anyone local doing similar stuff, I'd love to hear from you, it'd be nice to have a local network of people I can turn to if need be

Cheers, Jake

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Ay up from the Derbyshire Dales
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 01:31:19 pm »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave: I'll look forward to hearing more about your set-up

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 01:55:48 pm »
Hello and welcome from Carmarthenshire  :wave:

It all sounds great (like the synopsis for a book?!). I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the mangalitzas, a great looking breed.

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 02:08:01 pm »
Hello and welcome from Wiltshire
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 11:18:55 pm »
 :wave: and welcome from Shropshire. Lovely part of the world you've moved to. There are one or two TASers round your way. I'm sure they'll introduce themselves soon.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 11:26:08 pm »
Ay up from the Peak District!! Not too far away from you.

We have 3 Gotland ewes who have just all lambed twins, a ram and two of last years lambs, among other animals  (ponies, goats, pigs, lots of hens)

Edited to add, that all our Gotlands are from the lovely Amanda and Barry at Pedwardine, too!!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 11:46:23 pm by Roxy »

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 11:31:12 pm »
Hiya sweetie and welcome to the TAS gang  :wave:  Thanks for the generous comments  :-*

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 02:52:06 am »
Hi and welcome from north Cumbria  :wave:

Another spinner here  :spin: - your Gotland/Teeswaters sound rather interesting!

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 03:02:17 am »
Sounds like you build shelters like my OH. Good luck with it all. Must consider the crowd funding of lamb futures ourselves!
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

berylthedog

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Up the hill, under an old ash tree, Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 10:24:22 am »
Hi all, thanks for the lovely welcome!  Mad Goatwoman - I lived in Dawley for a while then out in the Corvedale near Ludlow for a good few years in a previous life - absolutely love that area.

Hi Roxy, good to know there's someone nearby, we'd love to come up and see yr setup sometime (and pick yr brains a bit!)

Sallyintnorth - Helen hasn't had chance to spin any yet (only working on borrowed wheels until I get round to making her one) but she's felted some and it makes a very beautiful but quite sturdy felt. I'm looking forward to her spinning some so I can get a good winter jumper made of it!

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 10:40:16 pm »
Was gonna suggest that you and Roxy get in touch with each other. You could get a taster of what's to come on the lambie front. Her newbies are adorable.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 11:37:45 am »
Ey up ... what a lovely place to move to! ;)

Welcome to TAS and to the Derbyshire Dales
(I'm born and bred here!)
Little Blue

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 03:19:44 pm »
Hi from Caithness  :wave: We have  :chook: :dog: :goat: :horse: :sheep: :&> :pig:, Mangalitza cross piggies they are great, really friendly  :love:

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 07:10:53 pm »
Hello & Welcome :wave:

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 09:12:28 pm »
hi from sunny derbyshire too
not too far from you
M

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS