Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First Swallow  (Read 4892 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
First Swallow
« on: April 07, 2014, 10:46:10 am »
Earliest I've ever seen one around here.  I know "One swallow doth not a Summer make," but it's nice to be reminded there will be one.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Re: First Swallow
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 10:50:57 am »
 :excited: can't wait for ours to arrive  :excited:  We have a mating pair of blue tits in a nest box right outside out window, a wren nesting in the garage and the wagtail back again nesting in the same shed as last year.  The swallows always come back to the sheds at the end of the drive - I love listening to them chattering away as they perch on the wires  :love:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 11:53:31 am »
The lapwings are back this morning too  :thumbsup: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 04:32:58 pm »
 :excited: :excited:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 05:54:05 pm »
The nests from last year have all managed to survive on our gable end, sparrows using them of late.  I really want to remove them and get the outside of the house painted but I expect it will  have to wait a bit longer - sure they don't mind!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 11:41:30 am »
Our first swallow arrived this year on Saturday the 5th a full ten days earlier than usual, looked out of bathroom window this morning and two were perched on the finnials of the conservatory roof, lovely to see them back, looks like ther'll be one helluva turf war as the house sparrows have moved into one of the byres the swallows usually occupy. They're noisy beggars! ;D
Mandy :pig: 

NLL

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 02:10:49 pm »
our first swallow was flying round the yard this morning, we are in County Durham.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 02:14:38 pm »
Our first swallows arrived yesterday - 2 of them at the moment.  Such an amazing feat every year for so small a bird. 

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 03:04:04 pm »
no swallows yet but I saw my first bumble bee yesterday.  :love:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 06:45:16 pm »
We've had the first bumble bees on the willows too.  Larks singing away, a rather tentative curlew, but no lapwings or oyster catchers.
The swallows are not here yet, but I think they're bound to arrive before my husband's finished making the big doors for our new barn-thing.  It will be a bit of a disaster if any of them set up home in there, but it is perfect for them with lovely wooden rafters.
The frogspawn is getting ready to hatch - tadpoles expanding and curled round a bit.  Does anyone have swimming tadpoles yet?

Shame this thread isn't in the 'wildlife' section........
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 07:19:53 pm »
we have oystercatchers but I think they may overwinter here as iv seen them a while ago.
im useless with birds but did see some shags  ::)   the other day, If they are the birds that hold there wings out to dry? theres voluntary jobs going at our local rspb so im very tempted if only to learn something!

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 10:30:46 am »
Delighted to see they've reached us in mid Wales this morning and brought the sun with them :D

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 10:53:08 am »
Tadpoles swimming in the pond ;D but no sign of our swallows :-\ (or maybe I've been watching the lambs instead!)

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 09:03:11 pm »
We've had bumblebees for the last week or so but the swallows arrived at the weekend and have started nesting in the barn again. Makes me so happy seeing them zoom about. Been just so beautiful the last few days feels like summer is definitely on the way (my burnt forehead would suggest pretty much here but I can get sunburnt under a 100W light bulb!).

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 09:04:36 pm »
The swallows arrived today  ;D Wow, they're early!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS