Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mice  (Read 7639 times)

FourCats

• Joined Mar 2013
  • New York
Re: Mice
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 04:15:38 pm »
I used a trap with some bacon to cath a mouse one.

Don't use poison. I used, but I didn't work.  :innocent:

Merrie Dancer

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 02:15:12 pm »
the humane trap hasnt worked. judging my the amount of poop under the kitchen sink, they are a big family.

PipSqueak

• Joined Apr 2014
  • South West Carmarthenshire
    • Black Orchard
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 04:35:19 pm »
I had a similar problem - didn't want to kill them and they were wise to humane traps - I saw one carefully avoiding it! I now have an ultrasonic rodent repeller and it seems to do quite a good job.

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 09:01:09 pm »
Set as many traps as you can get hold of placed out of paw distance from your pets.
Plenty of peanut butter on them and you shouldnt have much trouble in thinning your population.

I would advise against using poisons/baits in your house as some baits will cause the mice to die and rot in walls, behind cupboards and other hard to get to places creating a lovely aroma.   :(
Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 09:12:24 pm »
And quite apart from the smell, animals eat the poisoned mice and die. People's barn cats, hens, barn owls....... I stopped using poison when I lost a chicken or two each time I put it down.

I saw a 'large mouse'  :o in my hall today - I have just sent for a live trap! since the barn cats don't come indoors.

nicandem

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Berkeley, Glos
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 11:26:13 pm »
traps with rolo's as bait.
the lastr barracks i lived in, we took over from the Gurkhas .... it was infested.  i was catching (killing) on all 6 traps at least twice per day, often 3 x per day

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2014, 10:36:37 pm »
Going clip clipity clop on the stairs!   :innocent:

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2014, 11:06:24 pm »
i have always poisoned and neither the cats nor the dogs have ever been affected... the pest control guy from the council who killed the rats in the barn the first time we had a problem many years ago told me it was safe to use poison as long as you keep the poison away from any animals you have... the actual mice or rat wont do any harm. <i just took his word for it and <i must say i have used poison every year since and never had a problem with the cats or the dogs or even the ferrets!!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2014, 07:26:48 am »
The chances of one poisoned mouse causing a problem to a healthy well-fed dog or cat, are small.

But one can make a chicken or an owl ill or kill it, and where there are barn cats who are hunting, and who may well eat more than one, or eat a rat, then that can also kill them. The newer 'one feed baits' are also more dangerous.

Traps - or cats - are safer.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS