Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Prolapsed ewe  (Read 7823 times)

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
Re: Prolapsed ewe
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 07:37:01 pm »
hi also had prolapsing ewe this year before lambing and after, really quite stressfull,
all advice given seems to fit, just one other thing I had one time were she had been
on her back for a while and the prolaps was really big also a bit mucky and to make matters worse the young lamb in the field thought it very fun to jump on her and off again. ! hum. The prolapse was just not going in so fending of the lambs (it the field)
I phoned the vet on the mobeil and she helped by telling me to A, washing really well, I used betadine I'm in France so
basically iodine, you are asked to wash in it before an operation here (from previous experience). and I happened to have a bottle in my pocket. then not push it back but slide it with two finger from the underside little by little. I can say it really works for experience. got her to her feet. spoon after for about four days untill she left it somwhere.
and that ewe which I have to say I thought had had its day has gone on to produce and feed the nicest looking lamb of the lot. hea

country soul

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 08:30:15 pm »
An update on my ewe ,its alive and doing well as are its lambs .Any advise on how long I should leave the harness on?

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 08:50:41 pm »
I only took it off when we got to shearing.( having had 2 disastrous earlier attempts).... You have got to keep checking to make sure no fly strike or probs under harness, so pleased to hear this update ! Basically I think that as long as she is ok, leave the harness on .... Because it's a whole heap of more trouble if it comes out again.   It's a great outcome verses being pts!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 07:44:08 am »
Regarding prolapsed, the vet told me if they are prone to prolapse keep them on flat land.
On hilly land sheep always sleep facing upwards so gravity helps to pull the prolapse out again.

If you are in Wales, keeping them on flat land is easier said than done. Ours that prolapsed a month beforehand was kept in the stable yard for the month leading upto the birth as it's flat and we wanted to keep a close eye on her.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS